This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
How to migrate profile and bookmarks without Firefox sync account?
I don't want my profile data to leave my house, so setting up a Firefox account and using sync via a cloud service is no option for me.
This is a major privacy concern for me.
How can I migrate my old profile and saved logins to Firefox quantum locally?
All Replies (4)
You can use a removable USB jump drive to transfer your personal data.
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
You can copy files like these with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to recover specific data.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key4.db (58+) or key3.db (57 and older) (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
if you only have key3.db then make sure to remove an existing key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) or cert8.db (57 and older) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
if you only have cert8.db then make sure to remove an existing cert9.db
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
Firefox Quantum claims that the profile in Quantum is different and cannot share older profile data.
So copying the old profile data won't help, right?
Sharing means that you can't use the same profile with different Firefox versions.
You should still be able to copy selected data to another profile. You only shouldn't copy files like compatibility.ini and pkcs11.txt and secmode.db. Copying files like I posted above shouldn't cause a problem, but copying a full profile likely will.