How do I recover my bookmarks from the last version of Firefox?
I just updated to a newer version of Firefox and all my bookmarks are gone. Can I retrieve them?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- zoom.us launcher plugin version 1.0
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Office Live Update v1.0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
Look on your desktop. Do you see a folder called; Old Firefox? Look inside. Look for the folder with the latest creation date.
I can't find any folder called Old Firefox.
Are bookmarks the only problem? What about history, settings, toolbars . . . .
Restore Bookmark Backups
Firefox automatically makes backups of the bookmarks. These are stored in the bookmarkbackups folder.
Open the Bookmarks Manager; Press the Alt or F10 key to bring up the toolbar, and select Bookmarks. Hot key is <Control> (Mac=<Command>) <Shift> B.
Once the window is open, at the top of the page, press the button labeled Import and Backup. Select Restore. From the list, pick the file you want and click it.
The backups are stored in a jsonlz4 file named something like this; bookmarks-2016-06-29_1424_enD1GTH ya0JmicnYWg4V4g==.jsonlz4
In this example; 2016-06-29 = date created, 1424 = number of entries.