Restoring old sessions
I just downloaded the new update and can not restore the 3 windows that I had opened that contained multiple tabs in each one. Please help.
All Replies (3)
You may have corrupt sessionstore [v56] sessionstore.jsonlz4 file(s). Delete all sessionstore* files and the sessionstore-backups folder.
Type about:support<enter> in the address bar.
Under the page logo on the left side, you will see Application Basics. Under this find Profile Folder. To its right press the button Show Folder. This will open your file browser to the current Firefox profile. Now Close Firefox.
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
Linux: Under the page logo on the left side, you will see Application Basics. Under this find Profile Directory. To its right press the button Open Directory.
Locate the above file. Then rename or delete it. Restart Firefox.
Don't delete the files if you need to rescue any data from them, just move them out of the profile folder to some location where Firefox doesn't look for them. You can try to read out their contents using this tool: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/scrounger.html
Just to skip back a few steps:
Could you check whether either of these are available (not hidden or grayed out):
- "3-bar" menu button > History > Restore Previous Session
- (menu bar) History > Restore Previous Session
If they are missing or grayed, check either:
- "3-bar" menu button > History > Recently Closed Windows
- "Library" toolbar button > History > Recently Closed Windows
- (menu bar) History > Recently Closed Windows
Is there anything listed for any of those?
If problems continue:
(1) Did you lose any other data/settings?
(2) How did you do the update -- did you let Firefox update itself or did you do it manually by downloading the DMG installer?
If you use the Time Machine or other backup then try to restore the sessionstore.jsonlz4 file from this backup.
Firefox uses two locations for the Firefox profile folder.
Location used for the main profile that keeps your personal data (Root Directory on about:profiles).
- ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile>
In Mac OS X v10.7 and later, the "~/Library" folder in the Home directory is a hidden folder.