Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Avatar for Username

Шукати в статтях підтримки

Остерігайтеся нападів зловмисників. Mozilla ніколи не просить вас зателефонувати, надіслати номер телефону у повідомленні або поділитися з кимось особистими даними. Будь ласка, повідомте про підозрілі дії за допомогою меню “Повідомити про зловживання”

Докладніше
Відкрито

Yahoo Mail authentication errors in Activity Manager

tmuccilli

I recently set up Thunderbird for Windows as a troubleshooting step for my Yahoo Mail account which has been generating an incessant number of authentication pop-ups in Microsoft Outlook (Classic) for Windows. I had been using New Outlook for many months before switching to Classic Outlook a couple of weeks ago. With New Outlook, there had been no authentication issues nor pop-ups appearing. I have been using the OAuth authentication, not app passwords, in all cases.

Setup within Thunderbird was relatively easy and the OAuth authentication went through without issues. The account has synchronized and seems to be continuing to do so as I read, delete, and send messages.

However, when I went in to the Activity Manager, I'm seeing a number of errors, appearing every 10-15 minutes or so. They read as follows:

  • Alert from account xxx@yahoo.com: AUTHENTICATE Server error - Please try again later
  • The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account xxx@yahoo.com responded: UID FETCH completed.
  • The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account xxx@yahoo.com responded: p.

Can anyone help me understand what they mean? It would help me stabilize Thunderbird and might give some clues as to what is happening in Outlook Classic for me. It would seem some have authentication issues with Yahoo on different platforms while the service works perfectly fine for others. I would like to move away from Yahoo as I find it finicky with a number of its features, but I'm a long-term user (25+ years) and don't see that being a practical solution at the moment.

Thanks!

I recently set up Thunderbird for Windows as a troubleshooting step for my Yahoo Mail account which has been generating an incessant number of authentication pop-ups in Microsoft Outlook (Classic) for Windows. I had been using New Outlook for many months before switching to Classic Outlook a couple of weeks ago. With New Outlook, there had been no authentication issues nor pop-ups appearing. I have been using the OAuth authentication, not app passwords, in all cases. Setup within Thunderbird was relatively easy and the OAuth authentication went through without issues. The account has synchronized and seems to be continuing to do so as I read, delete, and send messages. However, when I went in to the Activity Manager, I'm seeing a number of errors, appearing every 10-15 minutes or so. They read as follows: * Alert from account xxx@yahoo.com: AUTHENTICATE Server error - Please try again later * The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account xxx@yahoo.com responded: UID FETCH completed. * The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account xxx@yahoo.com responded: p. Can anyone help me understand what they mean? It would help me stabilize Thunderbird and might give some clues as to what is happening in Outlook Classic for me. It would seem some have authentication issues with Yahoo on different platforms while the service works perfectly fine for others. I would like to move away from Yahoo as I find it finicky with a number of its features, but I'm a long-term user (25+ years) and don't see that being a practical solution at the moment. Thanks!

Усі відповіді (3)

I don't have an answer for you, except to say that I have been getting similar error messages for weeks or months. It's only with one of my two Yahoo email accounts. It doesn't seem to actually impact email operations, which is why I haven't spent much time troubleshooting it... yet. I have assumed that the "mail server... responded: p" message is truncated and I wonder what the full message is. Google reveals nothing. I asked about it here a while back but got no response. It's annoying, but apparently not fatal. I've been planning to delete and recreate that account but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here's a sample of the errors:

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 5:46 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 6:04 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 6:22 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 6:58 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 7:16 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 7:34 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: [SERVERBUG] IDLE Server error - Please try again later. 7:50 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: UID FETCH completed. 8:10 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 8:28 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: p. 8:46 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: [SERVERBUG] IDLE Server error - Please try again later. 9:02 PM

The current operation on 'Inbox' did not succeed. The mail server for account Yahoo (rednoise_2000) responded: UID FETCH completed. 9:22 PM

@Lin: Thanks, very similar to mine. Interesting that it doesn't seem to affect Thunderbird operation, but understanding it might give me some clues as to what's going on with Outlook.

You mentioned only one of your two Yahoo accounts is doing it. Anything different between them that you can pinpoint?

Thanks.

Both Yahoo accounts are set up identically as far as I can see.

I went as far as removing the offending IMAP account and adding it back in. Not better, maybe even worse! Everything still seems to work, but those dang error messages are annoying.

The errors seem to occur almost exactly with how often I have set TB to check for new mail. I often have at least two different computers running at the same time in the house, checking the same accounts. I thought I had them set to check at different interval lengths, but maybe they're somehow bumping up against each other. I'll check that.

Запитати

Щоб відповідати на повідомлення, ви повинні ввійти у свій обліковий запис. Поставте нове питання, якщо ви ще не маєте облікового запису.