This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Why are my back, forward and reload buttons unavaiable(greyed out), and the web address of the current page not appear?
1. Buttons greyed out and unavailable on FF8 toolbar:
back forward reload
1a. I cannot go back to a previous page or forward to the next if there is not a link I can use. 1b. I cannot reload a page if it does not load completely, etc.
2. The web address does not appear in the address bar in the tool bar for the web page on which I am or where I go next. I must type the desired web address into the address bar or use Bookmarks or History in order to go to a web site.
3. The only way I can do the above is to load every page I need in tabs across the top until they pile up. This is very confusing and unhandy for someone with vision problems.
Modified by NettieG
All Replies (5)
I followed the instructions but it did not give me back the use of forward, back reload or the current web address in the address bar. I will try removing and reloading Foxfire 8 and see what happens. I will let you know. Thank you for your help. At least it gave me something to try that I did not know "might work".
Start Firefox in Diagnose Firefox issues using Troubleshoot Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).
- Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":
There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.
If that new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
Extensions that may cause problems, disable if present (resolve later)
- McAfee Site Advisor
- PC DiskSuite (not sure if it is an extension)
- AVG Safe
- (information on |Problematic extensions)
One of these may fix problem
- create a bookmarks backup and restore it, may fix problems
- Ctrl+Shift+B to bring up Library List
- Import and Backup
- Backup to c:\temp\bookmarks-2011-11-21.json (or whatever date without problem)
- Import and Backup.
- Restore > choose file > c:\temp\bookmarks-2011-11-21.json
- see if problem is fixed
- https://support.mozilla.com/questions/851574 (which you said did not work for you)
Try the above first:
- Install the "Places Maintenance" extension. The extension features several options each of which will repair damage to the Places database. You can run the extension with all of the options enabled. This is one of the new JetPack extensions so you can install it, use it, and uninstall it, all without taking Firefox down.
Your Fun Web Products and the related My Web Search are well known problems. Look in the Search Firefox Help box above or Google. Ignore the advice of the promoters of these products. They may not be related to your immediate problems but you should get rid of them.