It's not obvious when 'Customize View' is applied
After several hours of trying to figure out why a folder didn't show certain messages, I realised that I had selected a Custom View a few days ago and it still applied quietly when I selected that folder. This is not the first time I fall for it. Is there a way TB would show that a Custom View filtered out some of the messages? Eg the Custom View button could be depressed, or the background in the messages pane would be different, or something. As it is now, I think I won't use the feature again and save myself hours of scratching my head in the future.
ყველა პასუხი (4)
If you are referring to custom view choices in the unified toolbar, it shows the view name that is in effect.
If you are referring to something else, please post a screen shot.
This is true when you have Icons + Text showing. For a more compact setup, I opt for Icons only. TB correctly offers that option which is essential with smaller screens. As my screenshots show, the View button doesn't change to show that anything other than All is active. As I discover from time to time, this can be a huge problem because TB remembers your selection for each folder and between sessions until you change it again (which is good thing BTW).
So, a few days ago I spent hours (literally) trying to figure out why many messages appeared to be missing from a certain folder. I nearly contacted my ISP but then their webmail showed the missing messages. After many tests I realised that I had applied a View to that specific folder long a time ago, I had forgotten about it, and when I reopened the folder the filter was still active.
The button could show that a filter is applied. It could look depressed. Alternatively, the next button in my screenshot shows a blue light and it works well. A file manager (Free Commander) changed the background of the folder pane to indicate a filtering mode was applied, therefore not all files were showing.
I must say without some visual feedback with Icons only, sooner or later the feature proves enormously counterproductive.
Suggestions are gladly accepted at https://connect.mozilla.org/t5/ideas/idb-p/ideas/label-name/thunderbird where you can also vote on others.
Done. Anyone interested can vote here.