Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Cuireadh an snáithe seo sa chartlann. Cuir ceist nua má tá cabhair uait.
Solved Cartlannaithe

Hung up in about:sessionrestore. How do I temporarily get around it

GerryWilliams

FF (latest) crashes on start up in about:sessionrestore. How can I temporarily disable the restore process?

FF (latest) crashes on start up in about:sessionrestore. How can I temporarily disable the restore process?
Read this answer in context

Réiteach Roghnaithe

I dinked around and:

1. renamed sessionstore.js to !sessionstore.js (I found this file from its date/time stamp)

2. I restarted FF but apparently lost my group tabs. so I

3. deleted the newly created sessionstore.js &

4 renamed !sessionstore.js back to sessionstore.js &

I am back & running with my old group tabs.

The path to the file (on my computer) was:

C:\Users\Gerry\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cv5sgp0h.default\sessionstore.js

I (and the community) would probably like a simpler process if one exists.

Athraithe ag GerryWilliams ar

All Replies (3)

It actually hangs up on re-execution. I cannot get into FF to change any settings.

Try to delete the sessionstore.js [2] file and possible sessionstore-##.js [3] files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.

Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).

See also:


See also:

Réiteach Roghnaithe

I dinked around and:

1. renamed sessionstore.js to !sessionstore.js (I found this file from its date/time stamp)

2. I restarted FF but apparently lost my group tabs. so I

3. deleted the newly created sessionstore.js &

4 renamed !sessionstore.js back to sessionstore.js &

I am back & running with my old group tabs.

The path to the file (on my computer) was:

C:\Users\Gerry\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\cv5sgp0h.default\sessionstore.js

I (and the community) would probably like a simpler process if one exists.

Athraithe ag GerryWilliams ar