This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Why won't Mac Monterey allow me to store bookmarks
I can't get Firefox to store bookmarks on my Mac since I installed Monterey 12.0.1. I managed to find some instructions on your trouble shooting page but they do NOT work. Hate to give you guys up, but unless y'all can help me fix this, I'll be moving on.
All Replies (2)
Hi, I cannot retrieve or restore my bookmarks and passwords on Macbook Monterey 12.4! This is horrible as I had years' worth of passwords stored in the old version. Also, I have no clue where to look for key4.db etc. files. can someone please get in touch? thanks
If you use Sync then best is to disconnect Sync temporarily during troubleshooting.
This could be a problem with the places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder.
- use the "Places Database" -> "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page
If errors are reported with "Verify Integrity", close and restart Firefox or reboot and retry.
If "Verify Integrity" cannot repair places.sqlite, rename/remove all places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed. Firefox will rebuild places.sqlite and restore the bookmarks from the most recent JSON backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.
- keep a backup copy of places.sqlite in case a new places.sqlite database has to be created
- you lose the history when a new places.sqlite is created
You may have to restore an older bookmarks backup in the bookmarkbackups folder via the Bookmarks Manager (Library).
- Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import & Backup -> Restore
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder