Firefox crashes - will not start at all
If I try and start Firefox all I get is the Mozilla Crash Reporter, if I try and restart Fireofox from the Crash Reporter screen all I get presented with is the Mozila Crash Reporter again. If I try and submit a crash report the Crash Reporter states "there was a problem submitting your report", hence no crash ID available.
The issue started when I updated my old, maybe version 5, Firefox with version 9, since then I have been unable to start Firefox.
I have tried unistalling Firefox, including deleting personal settings, and restarting the PC in between deleting Firefox and attempting to reinstall it. None of this works. Firefox will also not start in safe mode.
Mozilla Crash Reporter details added to the below Troubleshooting Information info box.
Does Firefox start if you boot Windows in Safe mode (press F8 on the boot window)?
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
No, Firefox does not run if I start Windows in safe mode.
I don't think this is down to malware or spyware as Firefox was running fine until I perfomed a prompted Firefox update. Nothing else was changed on the PC at that time. The PC in question is a work machine that runs a high level of securtiy, none of which has flagged any issues.
I have now seen the instructions for a clean reinstall, I'm going to try that .
OK, a clean install of Firefox version 9 results in the same outcome. Clean install of Firefox version 3.6.25 results in a fully functioning version of Firefox. There seems to be something in the latest version of Firefox that my PC does not like, or something on my PC that the latest version of Firefox does not like.
What operating system are you using? That might be a cause as well...
Win XP Pro, as listed in the System Details section.