Unwanted pdf reader takes over PC. Virus?
Recently, I searched for a subject through Google. The page it found for me said it was a pdf file and asked if I had a pdf reader. I didn't so I clicked on a url to get one. BIG MISTAKE! When it started to open up in a new tab, it started to open up again in another new tab, then another, then another. About every 3/4 of a second.
I went to the Start button to shut the computer off but it didn't stay open long enough to shut it down. Meanwhile, more tabs opened. I closed the Firefox window butt the tabs continued to try to open in that one. I finally opened up Task Manager and shut Firefox down. By this time, there were more than 500 tabs sitting there in Firefox.
Could not find it. This only occurs in Firefox. Edge works with a different pdf reader that I had downloaded but I like Firefox.
Any ideas of how to end this madness?
Thank you Village Idiot
All Replies (2)
Hi, glad to see you on Mozilla Support Forum.
Try Refreshing your Browser:-
- To do this, click the menu button at the top right corner of the Firefox window.
- Click the “Help” option near the bottom of the menu.
- Click the “Troubleshooting Information” option in the Help menu.
- Click the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- You’ll be warned that this will remove your browser add-ons, reset your customizations, and revert other browser data to the default settings. Click “Refresh Firefox” to confirm you want to make these changes.
If it doesn't solved your problem, then feel free to ask in Reply Section. Thanks for raising your question in Mozilla Support Forum.
You get tabs opening endlessly if you select Firefox as the application to handle a file when you get an "Open with" dialog.