Firefox for Android gives you lots of options for playing video and audio on your phone, including background playback, picture-in-picture support and auto-play settings.
Table of Contents
Picture-in-picture mode lets you continue watching a video from a website while visiting other tabs. You can even continue watching the video while using other apps.
- Start the video and switch to full-screen mode.
- While the video is playing, press the home button on your phone. The video will resize and you'll be able to view it while using other sites or apps.
Device settings: If this feature doesn't work, check your device settings to make sure you've allowed picture-in-picture mode in Firefox.
Easily prevent Firefox for Android from automatically playing videos/audio when you visit a website. This helps you save battery life too.
Tap the menu button.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Site permissions.
- Tap Autoplay.
- Choose your preferred option:
- Block audio and video on cellular data only: Audio and video will still autoplay on Wi-Fi.
- Block audio only: Video will autoplay without sound.
- Block audio and video: Prevents autoplay of both audio and video.
Listen to videos in the background
If you minimize Firefox while playing video/audio, it will continue to play in the background, so you can multitask on your phone.
Control media playback through your notifications panel
When you play a video or audio, controls will appear in your notifications panel so you can control playback there -- without having to open Firefox.
See and stop noisy tabs
Your Open Tabs section in the Firefox for Android home screen will show you whether or not any tabs are playing audio or video, along with a pause button, so you can stop playing it without opening the page.