Getting an Error : Content Encoding Error . This Happens on my yahoo home page and many other Sites. Fix?
Content Encoding Error
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.
This is what the error message says. This is happening on Many of the sites I go to. Using windows 7 How do I fix this?
Chosen solutionby wizzbang1314
By accident I found the problem. It was with a program that comes with Real Player called Speed Bit Accelerator. After shutting this off the problem went away (so far). I hope a future version of Firefox addresses this issue. I would really like to be able to use Speed Bit. For now though My problem is Solved.Read this answer in context 1
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Creative AutoUpdate v1.40.01)
Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache. In order to try to fix these problems, the first step is to clear both cookies and the cache. Note: This will temporarily log you out of all sites you're logged in to. To clear cache and cookies do the following:
- Go to Firefox > History > Clear recent history or (if no Firefox button is shown) go to Tools > Clear recent history.
- Under "Time range to clear", select "Everything".
- Now, click the arrow next to Details to toggle the Details list active.
- From the details list, check Cache and Cookies and uncheck everything else.
- Now click the Clear now button.
Further information can be found in the Clear your cache, history and other personal information in Firefox article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
You can check the network.http.* prefs on the about:config page.
Reset all network.http prefs to the default value via the right-click context menu -> Reset if they are user set (bold).
Check at least:
- network.http.accept-encoding (default: gzip,deflate)
Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.
By accident I found the problem. It was with a program that comes with Real Player called Speed Bit Accelerator. After shutting this off the problem went away (so far). I hope a future version of Firefox addresses this issue. I would really like to be able to use Speed Bit. For now though My problem is Solved.