How to remove Babylon from the search engine menu?
My OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit; using Firefox ver 15.0. I downloaded Babylon tool bar and related apps because they were associated with a tool manual that I wanted to review. I then discovered how invasive these apps are. Successfully removed Babylon downloader and Tool bar via Start | Control Panel | program menu. However I notice that "Search the web (Babylon)" is still listed in the drop down menu of search engine options. I have defaulted my search engine to Google, and I can delete the Babylon option, but it returns every time when I close my browser and then return to my FF Mozilla home page. How can I permanently remove Babylon as a search engine option?
Modified by WebShepherd
Chosen solutionby phrein
Babylon Solved: I've spent large parts of the last 4 days with the Babylon problem, stifled because I had no Address Bar and no View menu. The solution to those problems removed the Babylon bar as well.
Go to Help - Click Troubleshooting Information in the sub menu - and when that pops up Click on the Reset Firefox button, just to the right. Presto!Read this answer in context 12
edit( comments by a forum moderator - J99 ) COMMENT: everyone;
- I realise there may be a good deal of frustration is some situations, and some comment may be intended as hyperbole or humour, but please try to follow Forum rules and guidelines. There is otherwise a risk that action will be taken against infringers, that could include deletion of whole posts or even account deactivation.
- I have let this post stand, it is quote by Babylon in a rebuttal lower down in this thread
- as an aside, note that I understand Firefox management staff are currently co-ordinating improvement in documentation relating to removal of software extensions.
Babylon is the most pernicious, invasive, intrusive, manipulative and misleading software company on the internet. They pretend to be legitimate but their practices, actions and tactics are in the same league as spyware, viruses and malware. If there is a way to block them I want to know how. Legal action is the only way companies like this one can be controlled. I volunteer as lead plaintiff.Go to answer 8
Your program is insidious spyware . An honest company would provide an uninstall feature. May hot bacon grease fall on your head.Go to answer 11
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
when I downloaded Babylon downloader: tool bar bundled with another on-line request
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.6.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.16
- Version 18.104.22.16882
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- Google Update
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.2
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0
Successfully followed previously posted info for removing the Babylon program from my OS, but unable to removed it as a search engine option. Have defaulted my search engine to Google and everything is fine ... but would love to get rid of anything connected with Babylon.
No problem you can contact us via our Support Live Chat and we will show you how to do it , very simple and easy..
There is a shareware program called spybot search and destroy , that will completely remove Babylon. You can get it at safer-networking.org . Download spybot S&D run it. after it,s done, it will ask you too let spybot run at start up of your computer. reboot your computer and spybot s&d will run ,Babylon will be gone.
Modified by MagorRight
I have tried Spybot and it will not remove it as it says that it is still in memory even when I run it with Windows in safe mode. This is a curse.
i to have this problem and i'm now sick of the fecking thing, gone through every step of about:config and unistalled firefox and re-installed it... oh and guess what its still bloody there. is there a solution to actually get rid of this software as i even deselected the option to download the software yet it installed itself on my laptop and has also put itself on chrome and I.E.7
Hi sickofbabylon, it sounds as though you might have something installed at the Windows level that needs to be removed first. I haven't read this thread through for a while, but have you checked the Windows Control Panel for the various programs mentioned in earlier posts?
it's easy to remove Babylon if you follow the steps on our site:
If this post is really from babylon, it is completely disingenuous. Babylon is an unwanted, intrusive and invasive collection of software that is installed only by stealth, trick and subterfuge. To invite the public to go to their website for a "solution" is to invite people to risk further infection. There is only one "solution". This company needs to be shut down.
if you google "how to uninstall babylon" you will find it among first 3 results.
you can choose to use it or to use other solution, the main goal is to assist you to remove Babylon.
Cheers. Babylon Support