Gmail + Thunderbird + Focus bug - causes accidental deletion (possibly ever since Supernova was launched)
Let me give a minimal example to create a scenario. Please note that I mostly use Keyboard shortcuts, which play important part in this bug. So let us say, I have only … (funda kabanzi)
Let me give a minimal example to create a scenario.
Please note that I mostly use Keyboard shortcuts, which play important part in this bug.
So let us say, I have only two messages in Gmail.
- Subject: This is new but unimportant message
- Subject: This is old and important message
Now thunderbird synced Inbox as well as All Mail folder of Gmail. And both the folders have same mails.
So: Inbox shows 1/2 (one unread, total 2 messages) All mail also shows 1/2 (one unread, total 2 messages)
As I said earlier, I mostly use Keyboard shortcuts.
- I open Inbox.
- And read first message (with subject: This is new but unimportant message).
- I find unimportant. So I press 'Del' key to delete that message
- Then I immediately press 'n' to move to next unread message
- Now thunderbird takes me to All Mail folder of GMail
- Since All Mail still does not know that 1st email was deleted from Inbox folder, it shows me same email again in All Mail folder.
- So I press 'Del' key to delete that message (which was already deleted from Inbox but not synced with All mail)
- But by the time I press 'Del' key the thunderbird synced the All Mail folder, and on its own deleted the first message and focus was dropped on 2nd email.
- Now since focus was dropped on 2nd (important) email while I was pressing the Del key, instead of deleting first unimportant email, I accidentally deleted 2nd important email without realizing what happened. (Important message is gone without me realizing)
- This issue was not there earlier (I believe before Supernova). Earlier focus did not fall on 2nd email automatically but thunderbird completely de-focused the pane. So even if I press Del key it would not delete anything.
I have had many instances of important email going to Trash because of this newly introduced bug. Noticing mostly after Supernova was introduced.
In above example there were just 2 emails, so one would immediately notice that How come all emails vanished when I just deleted one email.
But in reality I have hundreds of new messages and would not realize that Del key was pressed on an important email because thunderbird changed the focus.
Please look in to the bug and resolve