Firefox update will not open. I reverted to 15.0.1 and it works.
I am running Windows 7. The problem began with update 25.0.1. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled 25.0.1 several times with no success. Quit using Firefox for a time, then tried installing 26.0. Still would not run. So I reverted to 15.0.1, and it will run.
Immediately after installing the upgrade, Firefox will run. After rebooting my computer, Firefox will not open. An error "not responding" appears and I have to go into Task Manager to close Firefox.
I have tried everything in your help files that pertains to my computer. I really like Firefox, but am getting a bit frustrated.
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.51.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.9
- Google Update
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- TrueSuite Website Logon Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- Nitro PDF Plug-in for Firefox and Chrome
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Firefox Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode that turns off some settings and disables most add-ons (extensions and themes).
(If you're using an added theme, switch to the Default theme.)
If Firefox is open, you can restart in Firefox Safe Mode from the Help menu by clicking on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item:
If Firefox is not running, you can start Firefox in Safe Mode as follows:
- On Windows: Hold the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- On Mac: Hold the option key while starting Firefox.
- On Linux: Quit Firefox, go to your Terminal and run firefox -safe-mode
(you may need to specify the Firefox installation path e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article to find the cause.
To exit Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help others with the same problem.
Trouble is, I cannot open Firefox when a version over 15.0.1 is installed, even holding the shift key to start in safe mode.
Hi kayelena, Sorry we seem to have overlooked your reply.
You say Firefox will not run, but also that you get a not responding message and must Kill Firefox in the Task Manager.
You may not be seeing much but Firefox appears to be running or attempting to run. Please attach a screen shot of the error message.
Maybe checking the Windows event logs will throw some light on what is happening.
Okulungisiwe ngu John99
A possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
Which of the event logs do you need to see?
I followed the directions to add Firefox to the list in Windows Firewall. Still having the same problem. I'm not certain what happened, but Firefox must have updated itself, because even though I reverted back to the earlier version, it won't run again today. I clicked on the icon and after about five minutes the Firefox screen appeared, but I cannot do anything with it. I am attempting to send you a screen shot of what I see. Hope it works.
We can see that Firefox is open, your screenshot is part of the Firefox Window.
Try again with the current Release, version which at present is Firefox 26. As cor-el said try
- Configure firewalls so that Firefox can access the Internet
- And if you only have the standard Window7 Firewall then see
Configure Windows Firewall to allow Firefox access to the Internet
- And if you only have the standard Window7 Firewall then see
You will probably have to set the Firewall whilst the current Release is installed.
I re-installed Firefox 26 and reset Windows Firewall. Firefox loaded and ran just fine through the afternoon, even after re-booting the computer several times as a test. Now this evening, I tried to run Firefox and it would not open. I am attaching a screen shot of the error.
hello kayelena, in this thread some other affected users have reported that the problem might be related to the fingerprinting software on their pc: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/980011
edit: for indexing purposes i'll reference the unresponsive script in the error message:
Okulungisiwe ngu philipp
I note the thread philipp refers to suggests disabling the fingerprint reader as a test or workaround, and also mentions updating the software may solve the problem
Fixed it by updating the "Lenovo Fingerprint Read/Password Vault for Windows" driver and software to version 18.104.22.168 date 2 Sep 2013.
If you need to determine the "Machine Type" and "Model" for you Lenovo laptop go to: Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information : "System Model". For my Thinkpad Edge E530 the first 4 digits were the Machine Type, the last 3 digits were the Model.
I had previously disabled the fingerprint reader:
Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Biometric Devices->Change Settings : "Biometrics Off"
I disabled the Lenovo fingerprint reader. The problem still persists. I ran HitmanPro. No threats were found; only some tracking cookies. Today, Firefox takes about 10 minutes to open and then goes into error mode. Attached is a screen shot from today's session. I'm thinking that this is wasting your time and mine. Google Chrome and Internet Explorer both give me no trouble. Maybe I will wait until Firefox issues a new update. There clearly, to me, is an issue with Firefox's update rather than my computer. Firefox 15 ran without any trouble.
Sorry you are still having this problem. The specific error message on a Lenovo has previously been noticed and reliably attributed to use of the Fingerprint reader.
I think first of all as a troubleshooting method we should temporarily remove as many of the elements that could cause problems.
Try all of this
- Firefox in offline mode (Firefox Button -> Web Developer -> Work Offline )
- Disable the Firewall and any Security related software
- Use Firefox's Safemode (e.g. Hold Shift Key when starting)
- Disable all Firefox Addons
- Disable the Lenovo Fingerprint Reader
Note also that an alternative method of looking at error messages is to use the Error Console
- Use Firefox Button -> Web Developer -> Browser Console
- That allows filtering to see only error messages, and clearing of earlier messages.
My hope is that Firefox will work in the configuration as above and by a process of elimination we will quickly find the problem.