How do I eliminate UWAVOU from my mac? I'm running the current versions of FireFox and Intego VirusBarrier.
This started several days ago. I get redirects to uwavou.com that Firefox blocks. I called Intego and they were completely clueless. The fixes I've seen on the internet say that you have to delve into your system files and root out the virus. Resetting Firefox is just a band-aid fix.
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
Izikhathi ezimbalwa ngesonto
Lokhu kwaqala ngenkathi...
I downloaded something, probably, or went to a site that was infected. UK sites seem the worst.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Octoshape Streaming Services web integration browser plug-in
- Version 188.8.131.529
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.4
- RealPlayer Plugin
- BrowserPlus -- Improve your browser! -- http://browserplus.yahoo.com/
- npmnqmp 071705000010
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
What is "npmnqmp 071705000010"?
Are you near an Apple store? If you need to clean out malware that is external to Firefox, you might give them a try, or the apple.com support forums.
With respect to what is happening in Firefox, could you describe the circumstances: what action do you take that triggers the redirect, i.e., following a link in search results?
Have you reviewed all your add-ons and disabled any that do not sound 100% trustworthy? You can do that here:
Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and
Tools > Add-ons > Extensions
If the unwanted software changes search settings, those can be reset manually, but yeah, it's a hassle to re-do that over and over, so it's important to clear the root cause.