Lolu chungechunge lwabekwa kunqolobane. Uyacelwa ubuze umbuzo omusha uma udinga usizo.
Why can't I use some form of parental control like IE to make it safe for my Kids?
I am just about to remove Firefox from my pc because I cant figure out how to protect my kids from the crap that is on the web!! I don't want them accidentally getting to an adult site.
All Replies (2)
Don't rely on blocking features in a browser. They can easily be bypassed if it is added by an extension or by using another browser like the portable Firefox version.
Also, for some (somewhat limited) parental controls in Windows XP, see: http://www.ehow.com/how_5928183_set-parental-controls-windows-xp.html
Generally, the products mentioned in cor-el's post are more comprehensive than those provided from within Windows XP.
The plugins submitted along with your question, indicate that your have out of date plugins with known security issues. For security reasons. you should update them. To see the plugins submitted with your question, click "More system details..." to the right of your original question post.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- Java Plug-in 1.6.0_04 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Check your plugin versions: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/
- Note: plugin check page does not have information on all plugin versions
- Update Shockwave for Director
- NOTE: this is not the same as Shockwave Flash; this installs the Shockwave Player.
- Use Firefox to download and SAVE the installer to your hard drive from the link in the article below (Desktop is a good place so you can find it).
- When the download is complete, exit Firefox (File > Exit)
- locate and double-click in the installer you just downloaded, let the install complete.
- Restart Firefox and check your plugins again.
- Download link and more information: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using+the+Shockwave+plugin+with+Firefox
- Update Shockwave Flash
- Use Firefox to Download and SAVE to your hard drive from one of the links below; the links take you directly to the download and you avoid the "getplus" download manager and "extras" (i.e., toolbars, virus scan links, etc.) on the main Adobe page.
- SAVE to your Desktop so you can find it
- After download completes, close Firefox
- Click on the file you just downloaded and install
- Note: Vista and Win7 users may need to right-click the installer downloaded and choose "Run as Administrator"
- Note: Most browsers other than IE will also get updated with this one download
- Note: To update IE, same procedure but use IE to go: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe
- After installation, restart Firefox and check your version again.
- Download links and other information:
- or you can download, save, then run the manual installers for IE, then for Firefox (and all other browsers) from here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_ManualInstaller
- Also see: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+the+Flash+plugin
- Also see (if needed): http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html#main_Uninstall
- Update Java:
- Download and update instructions: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using+the+Java+plugin+with+Firefox
- Removing old versions (if needed): http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml
- Remove multiple Java Console extensions (if needed): http://kb.mozillazine.org/Java#Multiple_Java_Console_extensions
- After the installation, start Firefox and check your version again.