Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Lolu chungechunge lwabekwa kunqolobane. Uyacelwa ubuze umbuzo omusha uma udinga usizo.

Firefox not displaying ® correctly on specific website

  • 3 uphendule
  • 1 inale nkinga
  • 99 views
  • Igcine ukuphendulwa ngu remo0032

more options

For some reason Firefox is not showing the registered trademark ® correctly on my website. It is coded correctly and shows as ® when i perform my HTML editing. But when I look at it as a customer using Firefox it changes to Ž but only in certain parts of the webpage. It does display properly on all other browsers though (Chrome, Edge, Opera, Safari, Explorer) Firefox seems to be the only browser not displaying it properly. See screen shots below I used Opera as an example. I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem or something that I can fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

For some reason Firefox is not showing the registered trademark ® correctly on my website. It is coded correctly and shows as ® when i perform my HTML editing. But when I look at it as a customer using Firefox it changes to Ž but only in certain parts of the webpage. It does display properly on all other browsers though (Chrome, Edge, Opera, Safari, Explorer) Firefox seems to be the only browser not displaying it properly. See screen shots below I used Opera as an example. I'm not sure if this is a Firefox problem or something that I can fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Ama-screenshot ananyekiwe

Okulungisiwe ngu remo0032

Isisombululo esikhethiwe

cor-el said

There are three cases on this webpage where that '®' (0xae;) character is present in the page source. There are two 'LEGO®' cases in the sidebar at the left apart from the one in the screenshot. This is a problem with the server that doesn't seem to specify the encoding and this makes Firefox guess the encoding as "ISO-8859-2" as is shown in "Page Info -> General". In this encoding 0xAE is represented as 'Ž' (0x017d) and Firefox changes the '®' accordingly. When the page loads then there is a short flash where I see the '®' and then Firefox changes it to 'Ž'. You will have to make the server send the file as Unicode (utf-8) to make this work properly.
  • content-type: text/html => content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Web console: The character encoding of the document was not declared, and the encoding was guessable from content only late. This caused the document to be reloaded. The character encoding needs to be declared in the Content-Type HTTP header, using a meta tag, or using a byte order mark.

Thank you by adding that code to the header my problem has been fixed.

Funda le mpendulo ngokuhambisana nalesi sihloko 👍 0

All Replies (3)

more options

There are three cases on this webpage where that '®' (0xae;) character is present in the page source. There are two 'LEGO®' cases in the sidebar at the left apart from the one in the screenshot.

This is a problem with the server that doesn't seem to specify the encoding and this makes Firefox guess the encoding as "ISO-8859-2" as is shown in "Page Info -> General". In this encoding 0xAE is represented as 'Ž' (0x017d) and Firefox changes the '®' accordingly. When the page loads then there is a short flash where I see the '®' and then Firefox changes it to 'Ž'. You will have to make the server send the file as Unicode (utf-8) to make this work properly.

  • content-type: text/html => content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Web console: The character encoding of the document was not declared, and the encoding was guessable from content only late. This caused the document to be reloaded. The character encoding needs to be declared in the Content-Type HTTP header, using a meta tag, or using a byte order mark.

Okulungisiwe ngu cor-el

more options

The short answer is that the server doesn't send the text encoding (should be utf-8) and that Firefox tries to be smart and guess the encoding (for some reason thinks it is ISO-8859-2) when it encounters the '®' (0xae;) and changes the 0xae; for this encoding to 'Ž' (0x017d).

more options

Isisombululo Esikhethiwe

cor-el said

There are three cases on this webpage where that '®' (0xae;) character is present in the page source. There are two 'LEGO®' cases in the sidebar at the left apart from the one in the screenshot. This is a problem with the server that doesn't seem to specify the encoding and this makes Firefox guess the encoding as "ISO-8859-2" as is shown in "Page Info -> General". In this encoding 0xAE is represented as 'Ž' (0x017d) and Firefox changes the '®' accordingly. When the page loads then there is a short flash where I see the '®' and then Firefox changes it to 'Ž'. You will have to make the server send the file as Unicode (utf-8) to make this work properly.
  • content-type: text/html => content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Web console: The character encoding of the document was not declared, and the encoding was guessable from content only late. This caused the document to be reloaded. The character encoding needs to be declared in the Content-Type HTTP header, using a meta tag, or using a byte order mark.

Thank you by adding that code to the header my problem has been fixed.