TLS error using 64-bit TB, but not on 32-bit TB
I have TB on my Windows 7 computer. It is 32-bit and the version number is 91.3.2. I use several email addresses in TB and have had no problems downloading or writing emails using any of the addresses. Two of those addresses are gmail addresses.
I installed TB on my new Windows 10 computer. I migrated my Thunderbird folder from the Windows 7 computer to the Windows 10 computer. I can see all my email associated with each email address.
When I try to download new mail from my two gmail accounts, I get the error shown in the attached jpg. I get a similar error if I try to send an e-mail from those 2 gmail accounts.
I've compared the setting in TB on both computers for the 2 gmail accounts. As far as I can tell, Both computers show the same settings. Both TB installations (old and new computers) are versions 91.3.2. The only difference I see is TB on the old computer is 32-bit and on the new computer it is 64-bit. What do I need to do so I can download and send email using my gmail accounts in TB on my new computer?
I was thinking maybe if I use 32-bit TB on my new computer my problem would go away. I thought I would ask here before I try that.
Thanks - (I'm beginning to hate computers. What's worse is I manage a large Oracle database for a living)
All Replies (7)
Is there anything related in the error console (Ctrl-Shift-J)?
I don't think there is a related error, but I've never looked at the error console either. Maybe something "jumps out" as a possible error related to my problem. Attached are error console images. One from Windows 7 (TB ok) and one from Windows 10 (TB not ok).
The last line in the error console for Win 10 seems like it might be related to my problem (Remote SettingsClient... whatever that means)
I don't think there is a related error
So do I.
What is your security/anti-virus software? Is it the same on both computers?
Same security and anti-virus software on both computers. On my Windows 10, I believe all have the same settings as on Windows 7, but I could be wrong. I use AVG Free, Webroot, and Zone Alarm Pro (Firewall only). I'll temporarily disable all of them on Windows 10 and see if TB behaves properly.
I also read something about editing my Thunderbird preferences, specifically "security.tls.version.min", but I'm not sure I want to play with those settings yet. Right now, I think those settings are the same on both the Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines.
I'll temporarily disable all of them on Windows 10 and see if TB behaves properly.
Try to start Windows 10 in safe mode with networking enabled.
Windows safe mode will reliably disable anti-virus/security software. This is a troubleshooting step, not a solution.
I started Windows 10 in safe mode. Zone Alarm (I have the Firewall only version) and AVG Free did not load. Webroot did load. I received a different error message when trying to access my gmail through TB. Unfortunately, I did not get a screenshot of that error message. Since Webroot loaded, I thought maybe that was the culprit but somehow I found out that Webroot was not the cause of the error.
Next, I started Windows 10 in "regular" mode. I disabled Zone Alarm, Webroot, and AVG and things worked perfectly. I re-enabled each one separately and tried TB. At no time were two or more enabled at the same time. No problem until I enabled AVG. That's when I received my original error message. It appeared as if AVG was the culprit, but I did a bit more testing to see if AVG needed to communicate with ZA or Webroot.
I then enabled Zone Alarm, Webroot, and AVG in groups two at a time (ZA + Webroot, ZA + AVG, Webroot + AVG). Whenever AVG was enabled I received the error. I compared ports and other values in a hidden area of AVG between Windows 7 and Windows 10, but both had the same values.
In the beginning, I mentioned I thought Webroot was the cause of the error. Even though AVG did not initially load in Safe Mode, I read elsewhere that the e-mail component of AVG will load when the e-mail client is started.
I have now removed AVG Free and TB is working correctly. I like AVG. Since I would eventually like to re-install AVG I have reached out to their technical support. BTW... removing AVG from the "Control Panel" blocked all my Internet access. AVG has a little-known exe (I think it was clearavg.exe) that needs to be executed. Without running that file, bits of AVG will remain and can block Internet access.
I have now removed AVG Free and TB is working correctly.
AVG is intercepting your secure connection to the server and injecting certificates in a way that is not trusted by Thunderbird. That's usually called a man-in-the-middle attack. So I'd hope you do have a lot faith in AVG when you say you like it. I wouldn't use it at all. In Avast or AVG security products you can disable the interception of secure connections: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/error-codes-secure-websites#w_avastavg
AVG has a little-known exe (I think it was clearavg.exe) that needs to be executed. Without running that file, bits of AVG will remain and can block Internet access.
One more reason not to use it in the first place.