Upgrade to 78.2.1 not able to find existing profile
I tend to be working on either of 2 PCs so have, for many years, been running Thunderbird with the profile on a shared NAS drive (z:\thunderbird\cc5rdcry.default). The 2 PCs, both have TB setup identically (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe). The Appdata of both contains identical Installs.ini and Profiles.ini files - the profiles.ini for both is: [Install8216C80C92C4E828] Default=z:\thunderbird\cc5rdcry.default
[Profile0] Name=default IsRelative=0 Path=z:\thunderbird\cc5rdcry.default Default=1
[General] StartWithLastProfile=1 Version=2
One PC is running Win10, the other Win 7.
The profile is linked to 4 email addresses.
This week the WIn10 PC updated TBird to version 78.2.1, and now, on that PC I get the "New Account Hub for centralized account setup", and the other shows a message ""You have launched an older version of Thunderbird" which then goes on to say the profile was changed by a newer version.
When the new "hub" appeared I closed down TBird, went to the profiles.ini and changed the profile to point to the one on the NAS, but it made no difference.
If I click on the "hub" address book it brings up most of my collected email addresses, but not "organised" as they were in the profile.
I tried running the profile manager, but it only showed default, so was not sure whether to use that.
All Replies (2)
Since version 68, Thunderbird works on a dedicated profile per installation (version of Thunderbird). https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/unable-launch-older-version-profile
I would suggest you exit Thunderbird on Windows 10 computer, then get Windows 7 computer updated so it is running exactly the same version as on the Windows 10 computer as you will find two different versions will have issues running the same profile.
Unfortunately it turned out that, during the upgrade, it destroyed the prefs.ini file. Compounded by a backup the same evening overwriting a good one from the previous evening.
I have managed to reinstate all the pop3 accounts, but there are a couple of IMAP accounts that appear to have had all the emails, prior to the time of the "upgrade", deleted from the hosting company's server. Almost as if, whatever happened, sent a "delete all" message back. I know they were there the day before the upgrade.
Hi ho, will see if I can get them restored.
Okulungisiwe ngu roger_evans