Application Handler Broken
After opening a large number of tabs in rapid succession the application handler for Firefox no longer launches applications and either displays:
Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols ([Whatever the protocol is]) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.
Or simply does nothing
This occurs in safe mode and after a refresh. Other browsers (Chrome, Edge and Waterfox tested in this instance) but not Firefox previously I have got this working with a full uninstall and reinstall but it usually happens again after a few days
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0
Hi Tyson C Rasanen , See if this article can help:
In order of the solutions presented there:
- I can say that all handles I CAN test don't work. So far I've texted NXM (Nexus's Vortex Mod Manager), Screenconnect-[GUID] (Screenconnect's native handle) and a generic mailto without success
- I did try resetting handlers before posting. Sorry! Forgot to mention :)
- I can say the PC has no malware per the scanners I have installed (Though given it works with other browsers I doubt you intended that one to be necessarily relevant anyways)
While you're waiting for a response to your texts, have you checked your Windows file type associations?
Go to - Windows Settings -> Apps -> Default Apps (on the left) listed below the Reset button, you will see
- Choose Default Apps By File Type
- Choose Default Apps By Protocol
- Set Defaults By App
Select *Choose Default Apps By File Type (it may take a minute for the list to load) find the file type and click on the line to the right of it to select an app.
Also check the others, if appropriate.
Nothing out of the ordinary there. Like I stated earlier it DOES work on other browsers :)!
There was a similar issue with a protocol not opening -
Check @jscher2000's response in this thread:
Firefox no longer able to open https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1274684
Blasts, the about:config fix didn't work either
Maybe you need to go on vacation like that user did :)
I'm about out of ideas but, I'll keep looking. Maybe someone else knows another trick or two.
I'm not sure that it's appropriate here but, it looks interesting:
The Nexus Forums Manual Download (nxm protocol) https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/468427-manual-download-nxm-protocol/
The link in that thread for the ModManager is dead. I found it here: https://www.nexusmods.com/about/vortex/
And maybe review the ScreenConnect Integration at:
Looked through both of those, neither have helped in the past typically (Which would make sense given that other browsers still can access everything fine including a fork of Firefox)