Why TB is getting slower in retrieving emails (gmail/IMAP)?
We have the following setting: LAN with 10 users, all using TB. The TB is set to use IMAP to connect to a G Suite domain and individual email accounts. The LAN is connected internally using an unmanaged Giga switch. The Giga switch is connected to the WAN via a high-speed modern optic fiber link. Earlier, few months ago, the WAN connection was based on a ADSL 100/3 Mbits connection.
Since we have changed the WAN connection, we have started suffering from delays in email retrieval (sending emails out is rather quick). The equipment is top of the line and was tested for performance (internal and external) and it is excellent. The problem is mainly with incoming email to TB and with moving emails in TB between folders.
After many tests, it looks like it has to do with the IMAP link. I wonder if there is a know problem like that? How this can be fixed?
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.100 Safari/537.36
Try the process with your anti virus not scanning incoming mail. With the much faster downloads, it might be is is just too slow and it is falling over itself. this could also be the case with an edge box that does scanning or spam detection.
I have not heard of anything IMAP specific. But I don't know everything by far.
Thank you for that.
We use only the Windows Security Center (updated on an updated Windows 10) on both sites (very similar networks, with pretty much same applications. the main difference is the WAN link, as mentioned above). As much as I understand WD does not scan emails (only opened attachments). I looked for an option to disable email scanning in WD, but didn't find one.
There are few more things that I did in order to improve performance - repaired the inbox, decreased the threshold for compacting the folders, auto-expunge on exit, but no significant change.
Here is something that I've just encountered: a new email in the inbox --> should be opened automatically in the message pane --> hangs for long time. The message at the bottom of TB was saying something: trying to download the message. Then I opened the error console and found two identical errors that I believe are linked to that. This is the message in each one of the errors:
uncaught exception: 2147746065 autosync.js:206:13
We did some more tests on another computer. When trying to move an email from one folder to another (in the same account) - it simply does not move. When we open the error console, the same error appears.
Please note that the above-mentioned error message keeps on appearing when messages fail to appear (download), also when TB is in safe mode.
more suggestions here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems
Thanks. I will look into these.
Hello, I'm back with this issue. Looks like the problem is not resolved, despite all efforts, and I can add more problems with TB that seems to be related to this issue. Note that we are using TB with the same setting (for different g suite accounts) on almost a dozen computers, and all are reporting the same issues.
The issue I can add now is that creating a folder in TB (equivalent to tag in gmail) fails without any error message. It simply does not perform this action.
Another thing is that sometimes the retrieval of emails is hung until we restart TB.
Looks like something very basic is wrong with this latest version of TB. We've been working with TB for many years and never before we have seen these problems.