change home page and search provider for many existing users at once leaving bookmarks, cookies, logins/passwords, etc. intact
Hi I have about 100 network users running FF 47 on OSX 10.6.8. I want to script changes in each user's Profile to set the home page, a particular set of search providers with one chosen as the default, and install / configure / activate several add-ons. I want to do this without changing any of their existing bookmarks, cookies, stored logins, history, etc.
Which files, or which bits of config.js, or what-have-you do I need to look at ?
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 22.0 r0
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
Hi Aunty, I do not use Mac s and am not the best person to attempt an answer, but no on else has answered.
It is probably more usual to configure Firefox when deploying it, furthermore such deployments may use ESR instead of the standard Release.
Note the EWG mailing group
- A popular method is using CCK. The software is free. The developer's site/blogs have a lot of information. (You may now need to subscribe - also free) https://mike.kaply.com/cck2/
I imagine your script method would do much the same as would be done manually if making these changes in a profile.
- See Recovering important data from an old profile
There are prefs.js & optionally the useful user.js files and the mozilla.cfg file mentioned in the linked articles, but Firefox does not use a config.js file in the profile.