Trying to upgrade sync. It requires account sign-in. I know I'm using correct password but it won't accept it.
I always use 1 of 2 same passwords (1 is 7 characters, 1 is 8) for non-important stuff (sorry sync, but I'm not exactly worried about some nefarious international plot to hack my sync account). I'm always signed into sync on all devices and never need my password. I'm trying to upgrade sync and it requires me to sign into my acct (even though I'm already signed in on the device I'm using). It won't accept my password even though I know it's right. It currently requires 8 characters. I suspect the problem is that my password may have been established when 7 character passwords were allowed and the screening process is rejecting my attempts because I'm only entering 7 and it isn't checking for a match. I tried both my 7 and 8 character standard passwords and neither is accepted. The 8 is rejected as wrong; the 7 is rejected because it's not 8 characters. ???
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 15.7.20033
- HP Active Check Plugin
- HP Product Detection Plugin
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- This plug-in enables downloading of HTML5 videos
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.206
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Only needed if you're going from a pre-Fx 29 version (twenty-nine) to a Fx29 or later version, and Fx29 was released at the end of April 2014 - like almost 15 months ago. And as I recall, Firefox 28 back to Firefox 4.0 required an 8 digit password for the older Sync service.
To solve this, my advice is to ...
- Disconnect all those devices from Sync
- Reset your Password (write the new one down somewhere) which will wipe your data from the Sync server via the device with the most current data.
- Then connect each other device to Sync using the new Password.
Will I be able to re-set my password afterward to the same one I was using before?
I'm still confused - I know what my password is for sure and it won't accept it - why? I signed up for sync many years ago now - may have been 7 characters then but whatever the problem, I would never have known of the password problem because I don't sign in and out.
Your explanation of past versions just confuses me more. How does/did that affect my password?
- No, I don't believe 7 characters isn't enough these days. Try it and see what happens, although you might want to experiment with a different email address / username (IOW, a 2nd account) in case it doesn't work out. Especially since those two passwords are so important to you; I can only imagine you feel the same about the email address that is associated with your "accounts" - don't want problems with that, too.
- As I recall I had to change my passwords (I had 2 different Sync accounts at that time) back in Dec 2010 with the first major change to Sync, as my 6 and 7 character passwords that I was using all over the place for many years were too short. After that Sync update I used an 8 character and a 10 character password for the next 4 1/2 years - until when Firefox 4 came out and something got scrambled ...
- Sorry for the confusion. Just an explanation of why I think you couldn't have been using a 7 character password for Sync within the last few years.
I might be wrong, as I only have experience with 4 different Sync accounts - but I have screenshot printouts with usernames and passwords noted, going back to the early days of Sync, when it was called Weave in 2009- 2010.