I'm having an issue with updating Firefox 62.0.2 -> 62.0.3 on Win7. I updated through Help>About menu, and it downloads, but when it goes to restart, it does nothin… (閱讀更多)
I'm having an issue with updating Firefox 62.0.2 -> 62.0.3 on Win7. I updated through Help>About menu, and it downloads, but when it goes to restart, it does nothing...no error messages either. As far as I can tell, Firefox spawns updater.exe which immediately quits. After this Firefox no longer appears to work, and the only way I can get it to start again is to delete the AppData/Local/Mozilla/updates/ folder which prevents updater.exe from running.
The same thing happened going from 62.0.0 to 62.0.2, and I ended up downloading Firefox from the website and re-installing. I really prefer not to do this every time there's an update. Previously, updating through Firefox itself was fine and I never had any issues.
I used SysInternal's ProcMon to monitor file access and the only thing I see updater.exe do is load some DLL files and then immediately close itself. Also, it fails to find api-ms-win-core-fibers-l1-1-1.DLL, api-ms-win-core-localization-l1-2-1.DLL, and api-ms-win-appmodel-runtime-l1-1-2.DLL. Without any error messages or logs, missing DLLs is the only thing I can think of. Problem is I don't know how to find those DLLs (doing a web search for missing DLLs leads to all kind of bad sites). Also, I ran SFC /scannow (system file check) to check for corrupted DLLs but it didn't find any problems.
Some other info about my setup and Firefox install, that could potentially affect things:
- I use mklink to symbolically link AppData\Roaming\Mozilla from my C: drive (SDD) to D: drive (regular HDD), but I've never had an issue with this. Updater.exe never gets to the point of reading any files from there though, so I doubt that's the problem.
- I block outgoing connections in Windows Firewall with a list of application exceptions (firefox.exe and updater.exe are allowed). If I set this back to (the default) allowing all outgoing connection, updating Firefox still fails, so I don't think it's a network or firewall problem.
- I set various browser settings through a user.js file, but I've tried creating a fresh new profile before updating, and it still didn't work, so I don't believe any of my settings are affecting it.
- Windows 7 is completely up to date.
- My antivirus software, Microsoft Security Essentials, is also updated, and I have no viruses or malware.