I am really angry! I can't get google translate to work!!! Fix this now!!
I have tried everything I can think of, and nothing works. I have gone all through the add on info, etc. Should I switch to google chrome!!??
Does this issue relate to a specific site, or every instance where translation is necessary?
Can you open the page at https://translate.google.com/ and type some random thing in your own language and ask it to translate to another language? Also test with a foreign language quotation you're familiar with and translate to your own language.
This will determine if the fault is with the translator or with the actual site you're trying to access.
You mean copy and paste a link to, for example my email. If so, yes I can.
Good thought. I don't have time now to try your suggestion, but I have a funny feeling that it has to do with my torrent site, rutracker. I will try other sites. Thanks
copy/paste this into your address bar:
I have run out of time right now, but I think this may work. Does this link put it into safe mode? I am not very technical so I may not be using the link correctly!
So this puts it into safe mode. Brilliant!!! It works!!! I just change the seven digit number associated with the particular rutracker item that I want to translate and keep the rest of your link (in the address bar). Wow thanks so much!!! How did you figure this out? No matter. It works, but just curious.
Have you tried to translate other sites so that they may are working?
The problem is that when you click on the translate from a HTTPS (secure) website (https://translate.google.com) and the website you want to translate doesn't have an HTTPS equivalent (the rutracker.org doesn't have!) you will get the error message you mentioned. This is not a Firefox issue, this is how the google translator works!
I am having a similar issue. It doesnt seem to matter if I use my normal browser - firefox...or if I use internet explorer. I've gone to rutracker.org and have created my account...that went well. I got my confirmation email and clicked the confirmation link and that went well, too. Then I refreshed the rutracker.org site so I could go to the homepage of it and do a search for a file. When I went back to the homepage of rutracker.org, it didnt show me as being signed in. I attempted to sign in (all the while using it in the google translate window) and all I get is a blank page. Like someone else on here suggested, I checked to see if it says "https://" but it doesnt show that. I have attached two images. The first is of how it looks for me when I'm at the homepage of rutracker.org and the second is how it looks for me once I have entered my username and password and clicked "input".... its just a blank page.
Unless I am missing it, it does not say "https://" in the url so the previous suggestion isn't valid for my issue.
Any suggestions of how I can get this site to work? I don't even see a way to contact the site webmaster for assistance.
I don't think that you can use the Google Translate website that way as Google sends the translated page to you and doesn't send the cookie that shows you as logged on to the server.
You may be able to use a Google translate widget instead or an extension that can translate web pages.
Hi Snaily, Google uses one of its servers (translate.googleusercontent.com) to show the translation results. For security reasons, browsers do not send your session cookies for Site A to unrelated Site B, so Google Translate works best for sites that do not require a login.
cor-el's suggestion to try an add-on that can translate within the real page rather than through a third party server should give you better results.
Thanks for the suggestions, both of you! I tried an add-on but it was a bit frustrating. Ended up downloading Google Chrome and that works very well.
The obnoxious thing is that now Google Translate won't allow you to use the unsecure version of the page (http instead of https); when you enter the unsecure URL, it automatically forwards to the secure one.
Any idea how to get around this problem?
From my experience, it seems that a lot of websites are moving to automatically forwarding their websites to secure ones, and it's not because they think users want their visits to be secure (what security risk does Google Translate have?!) but because https sites thwart many of the ad-blocking apps and plug-ins, and that decreases their click-through revenue.
I've started using Google Chrome and it works very well for me. It will translate a page automatically if you set it that way, very convenient.
Hi rch427, I can't think of a way to bypass the redirect. But what add-ons do you use on the page that no longer work? Perhaps there is a solution for that issue.
I don't understand your issue with https and ad-blocking. I've never seen ads on the Google Translate page.
No, I haven't seen ads on the Google Translate site either, but I *have* found that a lot of websites have recently switched to using the https protocol, and many of them have no necessity for security. Https thwarts ad-blocking software
Other Google sites do run ads, and Google makes a huge amount of money from selling our search info and other bits of our on-line activities to third parties, so they don't want people to be able to block ads; it hurts Google's bottom line and .
I run AdblockPlus and its element-hiding helper, FlashBlock and NoScript. It's possible that one of them is at fault here, but I don't see why; they don't seem to affect any other Google app.