What's 'Eazel' and how do i get rid of it? It keeps opening everytime i open a tab!
I have downloaded some software wich i didn't notice was malicious. I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and it didn't detect anything. Although, everytime i open a new tab on Firefox it opens a 'eazel search' thing. I'm affraid my computer might still have some kind of malicious software. How do i get rid of it!
- npsitesafety (Official)
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.45.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.8
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- ArchiCAD 16.0.0 (3270) POR Component
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0
Let's try safe mode as this is most likely an add-on, and we can do a malware check later if you'd like.
Try Firefox Safe Mode to see if the problem goes away. Firefox Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode that turns off some settings and disables most add-ons (extensions and themes).
(If you're using an added theme, switch to the Default theme.)
If Firefox is open, you can restart in Firefox Safe Mode from the Help menu by clicking on the Restart with Add-ons Disabled... menu item:
If Firefox is not running, you can start Firefox in Safe Mode as follows:
- On Windows: Hold the Shift key when you open the Firefox desktop or Start menu shortcut.
- On Mac: Hold the option key while starting Firefox.
- On Linux: Quit Firefox, go to your Terminal and run firefox -safe-mode
(you may need to specify the Firefox installation path e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
Once you get the pop-up, just select "'Start in Safe Mode"
If the issue is not present in Firefox Safe Mode, your problem is probably caused by an extension, and you need to figure out which one. Please follow the Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems article to find the cause.
To exit Firefox Safe Mode, just close Firefox and wait a few seconds before opening Firefox for normal use again.
When you figure out what's causing your issues, please let us know. It might help others with the same problem.
After you have cleared your system,
Open a new window or tab. In the address bar, type about:Config.
If a warning screen comes up, press the Be Careful button.
This is where Firefox finds information it needs to run.
At the top of the screen is a search bar. Enter browser.newtab.url
and press enter. browser.newtab.url
tells Firefox what to show when a new tab is opened.
If you want, right click and select Modify. You can change the
about:home (Firefox default home page),
about:newtab (shows the sites most visited),
about:blank (a blank page),
or you can enter any web page you want.
The same instructions are used for the new window setting, listed as browser.startup.homepage.