How do i set search to open in new tab?
When I do a "google search" I want it to open in a new tab...how do I set that?
Look in the about:config window for these settings and change them:
- browser.search.openintab - if true, will open a search from the searchbar in a new tab if you use the return key to trigger the search
- browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground - if true, bookmarks that open in a new tab will not steal focus
- browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground - Load the new tab in the background, leaving focus on the current tab if true
- browser.tabs.loadInBackground - Do not focus new tabs opened from links (load in background) if true
- browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick - if true, links can be forced to open a new tab if middle-clicked. Useful for search results.
Google will open where you tell it to. Go to Google.com/preferences and check or uncheck "Where results open/ Open each selected result in a new browser window." Leave unchecked to open in the same window or checked to open in a new window. Simple.
That is assuming that one wants to allow Google to set cookies, which is the only way one can use the Google preferences to configure how the interface with Google works.
True, but I was responding to someone who said you couldn't set Google to open in a new browser window. Your privacy issues with Google or anyone else were not germane. However, since you brought it up, there are add on's for firefox that resolve that issue as well. Regards
Johnk860, you did not respond to the problem/question. It was not about opening in a new browser window, it was a new browser tab. Please read before responding and wasting everyone's time
由 powbeech 於 修改
SandyKaren, way to hijack a thread!
由 powbeech 於 修改
Well, regrets if I wasted anybody's time. Also, on rereading, I sounded kinda snippy. Didn't mean that either.
@finitarry...Thanks for your help in advance.
I have my firefox settings according your comment...and I still have the problem.
Any suggestion (no more addons please ;D) ?
Which searches are you referring to?
- search bar on the Navigation Toolbar
- search bar on the about:home page (pref: browser.search.defaultenginename)
- other search bar (e.g. added by extension)
- search bar Google website
For the Google website you can set your preferences on the Google results page via the gear icon in the top right corner, click that button to open the menu list and select Search settings.
I'm referring to Search Bar.
I want to open any term in the background without lease focus in the current tab.
All the other options you gave are ok.
- search bar on the about:home page (pref: browser.search.defaultenginename): Google = Is OK for me.
- other search bar (e.g. added by extension): I don't have any extension like these.
- search bar Google website: I have already configured correctly and opens every term in the background.
By the way...
I used to work with Avantbrowser (Firefox as default rendering engine), but it has some problems lately like "purple error screen"... that is not corrected since 10 or more months.
That's why I'm giving a try to Firefox directly and I like it but, I miss some features like we are talking about (you can see in the attachment).
And... thank you for your fast answer.
Hit the return key after typing in the search terms instead of clicking the magnifying glass image. That should make the search engine open in a new tab.
When I hit the return key, It opens in a new tab... but I lose focus in the current tab and I don't like that... :-(