erroneous bookmark links
Hi, I have been using Firefox for years without problems, and suddenly the vast majority of my bookmarks -- while retaining the link designation -- have been replaced with links to Amazon products. I uninstalled Firefox, re-installed, and reloaded the links, and for a few hours last night, the bookmarks linked correctly to the intended addresses, but now it's back to an invasion by links to Amazon products, hidden behind the bookmark names.
PS This appears to be happening on all of my computers. I guess I just have to get rid of Firefox, especially in no one else is experiencing this.
If you use Sync then best is to disconnect Sync temporarily during troubleshooting.
this could be a problem with the places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder.
- use the "Places Database" -> "Verify Integrity" button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page
If errors are reported with "Verify Integrity", close and restart Firefox or reboot and retry.
If "Verify Integrity" cannot repair places.sqlite, rename/remove all places.sqlite and favicons.sqlite files in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed. Firefox will rebuild places.sqlite and restore the bookmarks from the most recent JSON backup in the bookmarkbackups folder.
- keep a backup copy of places.sqlite in case a new places.sqlite database has to be created
- you lose the history when a new places.sqlite is created
You may have to restore an older bookmarks backup in the bookmarkbackups folder via the Bookmarks Manager (Library).
- Bookmarks -> Manage Bookmarks -> Import & Backup -> Restore
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page (Root directory).
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder