Firefox 97.0 Browser Add-Ons Theme Display:
Hi, I am using Linux Mint 20.3 on my desktop computer, fully updated to Firefox version 97.0 (64-bit). I have been using for quite a while and become somewhat attached to the theme "Sidewalk Snowman - by the candy store" by Poppy.
1. Upon the switch of Linux Mint to use Mozilla default settings in Firefox version 96.0 I noticed that all menubar drop down boxes are now dark/black in colour. Also I notice that basically all control option box related menu/dropdown backgrounds now have a dark/black background including their titlebars making labels difficult to read/see (Excluding custom Browser search page).
2. This is causing the separators in bookmarks and titlebar names quite difficult to now see.
3. Disabling "Sidewalk Snowman" by the following: Tools > Add-ons and Themes > Themes > Sidewalk Snowman (ticking) disable - does in fact revert Firefox 97.0 to default theme and things are easy to see (separators/labels in titlebars and drop down box windows then have a white background.
4. For example the "Top Hat on Snowman" by MaDonna theme appears with no noticable issues. in Firefox 97.0 (64 bit).
5. Is there a solution for this to where I can perhaps more comfortably continue to use the "Sidewalk Snowman by Poppy" as before but with the newer version of Firefox 97.0 (64 bit) on my desktop computer?
Yes, this is a feature of Firefox 96, that more parts of your browser are re-themed if the buttons and text on the toolbars have a light/white color on a dark/black background. Context menus have been dark in that scenario since Firefox 89. That is why you have the problem with Sidewalk Snowman (white text) but not Top Hat on Snowman (black text).
There isn't a complete solution using built-in settings, unfortunately. We're hoping an option gets added to the Settings page in the future, but I'm not aware of that coming any time soon.
Until then, you might need to delve into the unofficial/community-supported world of "hacking" your browser with custom style rules. I have a website on the subject, actually, at https://www.userchrome.org/. It doesn't have a recipe for overriding this new theming feature, but you might find one on https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/ or in another thread here.
Thank you for your response and weblinks of interest. I believe that I have found a possible workaround (perhaps temporary, until the next update).
I had upgraded to Linux Mint 20.3 on 2/7/22 - now in the new features release notes for 20.3 https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_una_mate_whatsnew.php-> Theme Changes -> Basically with the Mate desktop (in use here) i've been using the Mint-X border not considering Mint-Y border which is spoken of in the release notes for 20.3 fairly extensively as to various changes.
Switching to Mint-Y border now gives me a well contrasted/viewable titlebar with a light/white text color on a dark/black background with the "Sidewalk Snowman" theme enabled. So this is most certainly a good start. Yes the context menus remain the same as before.
I have attached a screenshot.