mac error message: The application 'Firefox" can't be opened
Tried removing application, empty trash, reinstalled firefox, rebooted mac. Same error. Also tried holding down control and opening program. Did not help. Mac OS 10.14.6.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/78.0.3904.108 Safari/537.36
Is that the full error message? Or does it say ""Firefox.app can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed"
If it says that, then after you try opening it, go to
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of your screen and open System Preferences.
- Click on Security & Privacy, then select the General tab.
- You will see a message stating that the Firefox.app was blocked. Click on Open Anyway.
If that's the full error message, "Firefox can't be opened" let me know.
Thanks. I tried that but there was no message when I opened the General tab in Security & Privacy.
I started to receive the same error message today. Interestingly I'm able to get Firefox to launch via the following methods:
- Run "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin" from a Terminal window
- Run the Profile Manager via "/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P" from a Terminal window and launch Firefox from there
- Go Applications in a Finder window, Control click on Firefox and select "Show Package Contents" then navigate to Contents -> MacOS and run "firefox-bin"
FWIW, when I uninstall / reinstall I am presented with the following popup (to which I click "Open").
One more data point. The Developer Edition of Firefox (72.0b11) launches without issue. The Beta version (also 72.0b11) exhibits the same behavior as the current default Firefox (71.0).