Why is Colorful Tabs not available in Firefox Quantum
One of the best add-ons ever invented - and it's no longer supported in Firefox Quantum. Not sure I can live without it! Should I roll back to an earlier version?
Yay ! Stop your whining people, for Colorful Tabs has just been migrated to Webextensions !
Well @ Happy112, thank you for the good news. But it doesn't exempt Mozilla from DUE DILIGENCE in INCLUDING users IN their plans rather than DUMPING their 'newfound greatness' upon them.
FAR MORE importantly, is the MOST CRITICAL extension for LastPass also available?
Firefox 57 is TOTALLY unusable for me WITHOUT such direct access to all my various site passwords, since it is IN and BY those sites I do my daily business - banking, purchasing (being largely homebound) and every aspect of medical care, including prescriptions.
It should never have been sent as a RELEASE version WITHOUT full integration of these things.
WHINING? I spent 38 years in IT 'doing the right thing' in the face of many who didn't care - and fighting the apathy - and baseless ARROGANCE - around me. The arrogance of incompetence.
I've FOUGHT the wars - and been the ONLY recourse of users who needed SOLUTIONS though those solutions were NOT my assigned job. And my answers and solutions were SOUND. (Of COURSE, I was not PERFECT, but I also knew how to APOLOGIZE!)
I downloaded it, but unfortunately, it doesn't colour the actual tabs themselves. It adds a star-shaped button to the menu bar, which shows, when you click on it, what colour the tabs would be, if they were coloured!
So, another dream of what might have been .....
As to userChrome.css, again, ALL such configuration should be available in PREFERENCES without any need on the part of the user to LOCATE files in directories, download snippets of solutions and EDIT files. ALL that is utter nonsense!
I HAVE done about:config more times than I can count over the years - I've been using Firefox and its predecessor at least since 1996. But PROPER design would put all these things at the ORDINARY user's fingertips!
I am no longer a tinkerer or programmer. I'm just a guy who USES the resources on my system to DO the things I need to get done.
I have been grateful that Mozilla had provided a platform that ALLOWED users to customize - I believe ALL software should be so flexible - and what I wrote WAS designed to be flexible!
由 Paul Hubert 於 修改
Thanks for getting there first @ shirls!
So, a 'solution' that is NO solution!
Hmmmm. Remain at 56.
What OS are you running @ shirls? I can get you to the link that will give you the file for FF 56 that you need. Mine, of course, is mac OS 10.13.2.
Thanks, @Happy112. I downloaded it, but unfortunately, it doesn't colour the actual tabs themselves. It adds a star-shaped button to the menu bar, which shows, when you click on it, what colour the tabs would be, if they were coloured! So, another dream of what might have been .....
Maybe you could contact the developer about this ?
The dream still might come true ..... (fingers crossed !)
Apparently it needs to be rewritten from scratch - see https://www.addongenie.com/fr/colorfultabs-updated-a.php
I tweeted the developer, @ShivanandWP , but haven't had a response.
Apparently it needs to be rewritten from scratch - see https://www.addongenie.com/fr/colorfultabs-updated-a.php I tweeted the developer, @ShivanandWP , but haven't had a response.
I don't know when that was written, though - if it hasn't been rewritten yet, it couldn't have been migrated to Webextensions (which it only just now, a few hours ago has - when I last checked, it wasn't even on the Mozilla add-on page yet, that's how 'fresh' it was).
You tweeted the developer and haven't had a response (yet) : I don't know what time zone the developer is in, but it could be Friday night, and everybody needs some time off .......
Let's stay optimistic, eh ?
Enabling "legacy" extensions in Firefox
Paul Hubert: That won't work on release versions. extensions.legacy.enabled may be there but flipping it doesn't do anything.
Hey folks, I'm going to lock this thread. It's turned into name calling and diverged from the main question. I'll summarize it here:
- Colorful Tabs has released an update. I have no idea if it is on par functionality-wise but plus talk to the developer of colorful tabs if they intend on adding more features.
- You are free to use whatever browser you want. Keep in mind, Chrome, IE, safari and edge are more restrictive than Firefox on what customization that are allowed.
- You cannot enable legacy add-ons in 57. That pref works in nightly, but since the supporting code is mostly gone legacy add-ons likely won't run.
- We do not encourage using old versions of Firefox. It opens you up to security issues, and is bad for the web. No add-on is worth security issues
- Lastpass is working on a web extension version, in fact it may already be out.
- Lastly, Firefox has never guaranteed any sort of add-on compatibility. That is in fact part of the reason for Web extensions, before, any update to Firefox could break underlying code and thus break extensions. With Web Extensions, add-on breakage should be much less in the future. Plus, in order to have the awesome speed improvements in 57 and beyond, we couldn't continue to support legacy add-ons.
If you have different problems with Firefox not covered in this thread, please open a new one.
由 user633449 於 修改