How do I open the Places.sqlite folder to retrieve my bookmarks?
I used System Restore to return to an earlier date on my computer. Lost all bookmarks in Firefox. I found my profile , found the places.sqlite folder, but when I double-clicked on it, Windows was unable to open it. How can I retrieve my bookmarks?
Hi, System Restore can sometimes cause problems, especially if you restore to before a Firefox update. You can try this first: Open bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Restore, and see if you have a backup there.
If not, just right click > Copy, the places.sqlite file.
If your question is resolved by this or another answer, please take a minute to let us know. Thank you!
I can copy, but where do I paste? Also, when I try to open the file, Windows can't open it. Which program do I use to open it?
This is possibly caused by restoring an older copy of the profiles.ini file.
You can copy the file to the current profile folder, but you can also re-register that previously used profile to make Firefox use that profile. You can do that by using the Profile Manager to create a new profile and click the "Choose Folder" button and browse to that previous profile.
You can use this button to go to the current Firefox profile folder:
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
You can copy files like these to the current Firefox profile folder to recover specific data.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- bookmark backups: JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- SQLite files like cookies.sqlite (cookies) and formhistory.sqlite (saved form data)
- logins.json and key3.db (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
- cert8.db and possibly cert_override.txt for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other Site Preferences
- sessionstore.js for open tabs and pinned tabs and tab groups