How do I recover from the "Updat Firefox" virus?
I stupidly installed the "Update Firefox" virus. I used System Restore to get back most functionality, BUT: I lost all Bookmarks (incl. Backup), and there is something running in the background (moving circle) that I can't get rid of. I can use most programs, but that Circle is always in the background. I have run Malware Bytes, and Norton, both before and after the system restore . NEITHER RECOGNIZED THE VIRUS.
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 103
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.10
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer 126.96.36.199
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.71.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
- WildTangent Games App V2 Presence Detector
- WordCaptureX component for single click dictionary
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/35.0
Where did you get the update?
Used System Restore to supposedly get rid of virus, but upon return to Firefox found that I had lost ALL bookmarks, calendar program, and most extensions. There was also something running in the background that I couldn't get rid of for at least 2 days. Don't see it now but won't return to Firefox in case it pops up again.
Look on your desktop. Do you see a folder called; Old Firefox?