Is there a setting in "Firefox" which may need to be checked/un-checked to avoid this from happening?
When performing a "Google" search, "Firefox" finds results just fine. When I click on a web-link for one of those results ... "Firefox" finds URL but before it can come up, a random re-direct occurs to other (un-related) sites.
Running "Windows 7 Home Premium" on a new "Dell" PC. For about 2 weeks have had no recurring issues with web browsing. In last few days web browser has performed this automatic redirect OR automatically opened additional tab to an unfamiliar website.
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
- http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php - Ad-Aware Free
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked