WaPo articles not displaying correctly in FF v103.0.1
Hi, I first posted this in error in the Discussions section and was pointed to this forum.
Articles from the Washington Post (washingtonpost.com) are not displaying entirely correctly in FF v103.0.1, Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave). The headline and body text appears normally, but the lead graphic or photo is just a blurry smear, the Comments button does nothing, comments do not load at all, the Section button doesn't work, the Sign In button doesn't work, and the magnifying-glass Search function doesn't work correctly). Links at the bottom of the page to other articles do lead to the articles themselves (which are also displayed as described above), but the links, normally shown as an image with a headline, just appear as a gray rectangle. Article display worked normally in 102.0.1 and works normally in Chrome. Articles from the New York Times and a couple of other randomly selected periodicals that I read all work normally in 103.0.1.
jscher2000, a Discussions collaborator, suggested that I toggle the Reader View switch. When I do that, the article text displays fine but there are no photos or graphics. In-article links (to sources, other articles, etc.) do work; links to other Washington Post articles produce the same result (very blurry lead photo, no photos at all in the body of the article, Sign In, Section and Comments buttons not working, etc.).
Because the Sign In button on the newly opened article does not work, I can't verify that I am indeed logged in, even though I am logged in on the main washingtonpost.com page.
jscher2000 also suggested that "One possible reason for the content to look blurred on a news site would be if one of your add-ons removed a forced-subscription overlay without cleaning up fully. However, if you are already a subscriber, then that would be unlikely (assuming you are signed in)." I don't quite know what to do about this -- I don't know what the forced-subscription overlay is or where I'd find it or what to do about it. I do have several add-ons installed, mostly to block ads and trackers and promote security. Also, as I mention, I can't verify whether I am still signed in when I open a new article because the new article displays a non-working Sign In button even though I'm signed in on the main page. So I'm kind of stuck on that one.
Everything I describe here was not a problem in FF102.0.1 -- things worked fine. After upgrading to FF103 and finding the problems, I went backward and reinstalled FF102, and after some fumbling around got my old profile installed. Everything worked normally. And everything works normally with the same Web sites and pages in Chrome.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this. In the meantime, I'll go back to FF102.0.1 and stand by for further developments.
Tất cả các câu trả lời (1)
Possible correction: I'm now, after hours of messing around, not clear whether I actually did get my old profile installed when I rolled back to FF102. I can't do it today -- when I get 102 installed and use about:profiles to select the profile that has all my bookmarks, etc., in it, I'm prevented from doing so and given the choice to either create a new profile or quit.
This also happens when I install FF102 ESR. So, I can use 103, have all my tabs and bookmarks and add-ons and so forth, and just live with the Washington Post problem -- which for me is a non-trivial problem -- or I can use an older release with a brand-new, empty profile.
Or maybe there's a way to copy all the data into the new, empty profile. I've backed up my old, info-rich profile, copied its contents, created a new folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles, gave it exactly the same name as the profile 102 ESR was using, and copied all my old profile contents into it. Restarted ESR and... no dice.
If I'm missing something really simple here, hope someone can steer me right. Otherwise, I don't see how to test FF102 or 102 ESR with my "real" profile to eliminate the profile as the source of the problem. I don't see how it could be since everything worked fine in 102.0.1. Just trying to be thorough and methodical here...