How can I stop Firefox from automatically downloading and installing updates?????? UN-Checking box when installing for auto DOESN"T WORK!!!!
Have many performance problems with latest versions of Firefox. I remove fFrefox and reinstall 18.0 and everything is fine until Firefox automatically updates to 28.x. I remove check in box when asked if want Firefox Maintenance installed, but downloads updates anyway and next time I bring-up then problems are back!!! I have to start over again and never X Firefox. I just want the basic Firefox - simple, FAST and WORKS !!! Never liked IE - but may have to go back to it. Chrome is also automatic download update. using XP, but may have to rethink Thanks for any help.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.9
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.40.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Winamp Application Detector
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Windows Multimedia Services DRM Store Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
What kind of problems do you have with the Firefox 28 release?
Did you check your security software (firewall, anti-virus) to make sure that the new version in allowed?
It is possible that your security software (firewall, anti-virus) blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full, unrestricted, access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
You can create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problem.
See "Creating a profile":
If the new profile works then you can transfer files from a previously used profile to the new profile, but be cautious not to copy corrupted files to avoid carrying over the problem