new upgrade lost my passwords
I upgraded Unbuntu and it did not import my passwords.
All Replies (4)
Did you use Sync?
Try a version from Mozilla, sign into sync if you used it and see if you data is there. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr
Ubuntu may have switched to the Snap version and that version uses a different location for the profile. You can find the current location on the about:support page.
Your older profile might be under the hidden ~/.mozilla/firefox location.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
I am not that up on using the terminal and the instructions didn't help me at all.
Are you using the Snap version ?
You should be able to see this on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page.