How do I get an attachment that has a .wmv extension to launch?
I have been sent an attachment that will not launch. It has a wmv extension and is some sort of a video file. What do I have to do to get firefox to allow this file to launch?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 13.0 r0
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.51.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.06
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0
Hello, A .wmv file is a windows movie file. If you are on a Mac, you MUST download Flip4Mac if you want Firefox to play the video within the browser. If it is a download, you still need Flip4Mac, but that has nothing to do with Firefox. If you run a windows machine and these problems occur, then it is probably a glitch/bug on your computer. This is probably not a FF issue, more likely a software incompatibility issue.
Usually if Firefox can't handle some media, it will allow you to open it in an external program, such as Windows Media Player.
What is Firefox doing in this case -- just ignoring your attempts to open the media?
Is this the only attachment affected, or do you have more general issues with email attachments? Yahoo and AT&T Yahoo mail users who access mail using old bookmarks have reported problems accessing attachments. Try getting to email through your Yahoo/My Yahoo or AT&T Yahoo home page in that case.
Finally, to get the Windows Media Player plugin for Firefox, if you are interested in using that, see this support article: Play Windows Media files in Firefox with the Windows Media plugin.