cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yahoo mail keeps going to yim.com

Highlighted
New Contributor

yahoo mail keeps going to yim.com

I keep going to yahoo mail and recently most occasion it then runs to some website called http://www.yim.com/?redir=frame&uid=www50a154ce94ba49.13693812

Why is this happening? I have cleared history and cookies and not working to solve the problem.

22 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: yahoo mail keeps going to yim.com

Are you saying Yahoo Mail is diverted or that a second window opens to that site, which looks completely unrelated? How are you accessing Yahoo Mail: typing the address, using a bookmark, using a link, etc.?

In case it's a sign of a security breach, you may want to run some supplemental scans. These two tools are highly regarded:

Malwarebytes Anti-malware : http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

SUPERAntiSpyware : http://www.superantispyware.com/

Once you are confident your system is clean, you still might need to clean up your settings and add-ons in Firefox. But a little more info is needed on exactly what is happening.

New Contributor

when I use my stored bookmark or go through the website manually it jumps to the next page. No new tab or windows opens pop up style just gets redirected to yim.com.

I have Malware Bytes ran that and claims it is clean.

Site Moderator

Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

• Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

• Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New Contributor

Started in safe mode and still back to YIM.com

Legendary Contributor

Have you tried Internet Explorer to see whether anything unusual happens there?

Could you check your Firefox proxy setting and make sure it is set to No Proxy here:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced

On the "Network" mini-tab, click the "Settings" button

New Contributor

Hi I am also having the problem.

1) I only have the issue with Firefox, Not with Internet explorer nor Chrome. 2) I have tried to uninstall reinstall firefox  : issue still there 3) I have tried to run it in safemode : issue still there 4) I have run the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software that detected no issue, but is enable to retrieve the latest base from the web, a strange error occur 5) I am using the same proxy for IE and Chrome

any idea? Thanks!

Legendary Contributor

To both minnz21 and loran100, can you try the following: disable all add-ons (except Flash and NoScript, if applicable) and test again.

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons

Disable everything in both of these sections:

Plugins - except the Flash plugin ("Shockwave Flash 11.5")
Extensions - except NoScript if you use it

Then restart Firefox. Any change?

Legendary Contributor

Hi loran100, I don't understand your reference to a "strange error" from Malwarebytes. Perhaps try some additional tools such as the rootkit remover TDSSKiller from http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

New Contributor

Hi Jscher2000,

I have tried TDSSKiller, but nothing was detected. Regarding the error, I have had an internal error (I am not able to reproduce because i have uninstalled).

By the way I have updated my flash player, and right now i do not have the error anymore... maybe?