cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does a blank new tab make my entire screen go black?

Highlighted
New User

why does a blank new tab make my entire screen go black?

Apparently, anytime I let my Firefox browser sit with the focused on tab being a blank new tab, it makes my entire screen go black and stay black until I right click or hit my windows key on my keyboard. It does not do this while the tab visible contains a webpage, any webpage. It behaves exactly like when my graphics driver resets, except the driver doesn't reset and the entire screen stays black instead of coming back immediately.(used to have an overheating graphics card due to slow fan which was fixed with better drivers) This just started an hour ago. I have a LavaFox theme at the time so I disabled the theme, but it still does this.

Tags (2)
19 REPLIES
Shooting Star

Re: why does a blank new tab make my entire screen go black?

Hi,

You can try deselecting Use hardware acceleration when available in Tools (Alt + T) > Options > Advanced > General. Options > Advanced and restart.

Options

Hardware Acceleration

New User

That did not change how it works.

This first started yesterday, after I had already used the browser without incident, and I had not turned the computer off since then. It actually started when I noticed my theme had graphical issues with my buttons. I changed back to the default theme and that fixed, but the issue with the blank tabs stayed.

I really want this fixed because it makes me worry about my computer having a virus or something though I am careful and my antivirus hasn't caught anything.

Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).

New User

Safe mode doesn't fix the issue, which doesn't surprise me since nothing changed until after the issue started when I tried to fix it.

The blank tabs still make my screen turn completely black after a couple seconds.

I'm using an HDMI connection to my monitor, if that would matter at all.

New User

Useful information, many thanks to the author. It is puzzling to me now, but in general, the usefulness and importance is overwhelming. Very much thanks again and good luck! Please keep up the good articles, thanks!

(unrelated links removed by mod)

Shooting Star

Can you also try to Disable all the Plugins in Tools > Add-ons after starting in safe mode.

New User

I tried that. It didn't work. It must be an issue with Firefox or my computer somehow, but it only affects blank tabs in Firefox.

Shooting Star

Please also check in a new profile.In the Windows Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Log, you can try to check for any messages related to Firefox in the Application branch and also for any messages/errors related to graphics in the System branch after this occurs. If possible you can also try to check in Windows Safe Mode.

New User

I looked where you said, though it was the first I ever heard of that area of my computer so it was confusing. I only saw one reference to Firefox, but it was a rare crash likely because I left it open over night. It is an error that has happened before and shown me an error box, but rarely ever happens.

I did not see any reference to my screen darkening or any graphics errors for any of the times that the screen darkened.

It never does bring up an error box. It is as if my computer is intentionally making the screen black, as if the monitor went into sleep mode yet not sleep mode.

This is really odd. I have no idea why this started, especially considering nothing on my computer had changed at the time. It's just as if my computer just automatically changed something on me.

One thing to note.... Firefox has been asking me if I want it to remember passwords for sites again, since the problem started, as if I never set those settings before.

I don't have any idea if that has anything to do with the problem though.