cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why can't I sign into eBay with Firefox 17

Highlighted
New Contributor

why can't I sign into eBay with Firefox 17

I have had to revert to Firefox 12 because if I use Firefox 17 I cannot sign into eBay. Page says "not responding" I have always had all the new updates up to version 17, but obviously, if I can't sign into eBay there is no point in having version 17.

15 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: why can't I sign into eBay with Firefox 17

Try to clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

• Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

• Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New Contributor

I had the same problem with 17.0 (everything was fine with 16). Tried all the suggestions (cookies, safe mode, remove and reinstall Firefox, new profile, remove and reinstall my AV software) - NOTHING HELPED ! And to make matters worse, every time Firefox froze and I closed it, it would not start again, even though I terminated Firefox.exe in the task manager. (Had to reboot !!) Then 17.01 was put out last Friday and things seemed much better, but I still had the occasional freeze with log-in to either Ebay, PayPal of a financial site. I am now running 18.0 Beta, and so far so good (fingers crossed). Of course my Norton toolbar and Vulnerability Protection add-ons are disabled, but I can live with that. I am quite surprised that I have not seen more people complaining. Using Firefox with Ebay must be very common. The real killer is that the fault does not seem to be consistent or easily reproducible. Sometimes my log-in would work and other times Firefox would freeze. I am really pissed off at Firefox - I have wasted many many hours on this problem. I actually changed over to Internet Explorer until I thought of giving Firefox 18 a try.

Site Moderator

Another possible cause is security software (firewall,anti-virus) that blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process without informing you, possibly after detecting changes (update) to the Firefox program.

Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.

See:

New Contributor

Well I have been using Norton Internet Security and Firefox for several years and never had to mess with the firewall rules. I had no problem browsing any website. The problem only occurs when I try to input user name and password into a log-in (and even that was intermittent). As I said before, never had a problem until FF17, and never with Internet Explorer.

New Contributor

I have been having the problem for months now so have to use internet explorer to access ebay.Will try the site to see if there is upgrade from it but mine is already up to 18.0.1

New Contributor

dazmoz,

My problem was caused by Trusteer Rapport banking security software. If you have that installed you could try stopping it and see if that helps. (Latest Firefox is 18.0.1 so you are up to date).

New Contributor

I have upgraded to beta and seems to have solved it for now.I do have trustee so if starts again will remove it.Thanks.

New Contributor

I had the same problem and after writing to Trusteer Rapport they very quickly responded by acknowledging that they knew about the problem and advised me to download their latest version of Rapport with this link

http://www.trusteer.com/support/rapport-installation-links

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

Have upgraded trusteer so lets hope its the last of my problems.Dont like using explorer it as never liked working on my laptop from being new