cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when I log onto firefox I get "You are about to log in to the site "johndavisgallery.com" with the username "www%2Eart", but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.... How do I get rid of this?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

when I log onto firefox I get "You are about to log in to the site "johndavisgallery.com" with the username "www%2Eart", but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.... How do I get rid of this?

when I log onto firefox I get "You are about to log in to the site "johndavisgallery.com" with the username "www%2Eart", but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you. Is "johndavisgallery.com" the site you want to visit? How do I get rid of this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Master Contributor

Re: when I log onto firefox I get "You are about to log in to the site "johndavisgallery.com" with the username "www%2Eart", but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.... How do I get rid of this?

OK, try this.

1. In the location bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
  2. In the filter at the top, type: keyword.URL
  3. Double click it and remove whatever's in there. You'll see it revert to "Default" and "String".
  4. Go to File | Exit
  5. Restart Firefox, go to the site you want to set as your homepage.
  6. Go to Tools | Options | General.
  7. Make sure it says "Show My Homepage" in the first dropdown menu.
  8. Click the button called "Use Current Pages" to set the homepage to the one you have on the screen.
  9. Close Firefox again and then restart it.
31 REPLIES
Master Contributor

Re: when I log onto firefox I get "You are about to log in to the site "johndavisgallery.com" with the username "www%2Eart", but the website does not require authentication. This may be an attempt to trick you.... How do I get rid of this?

Firefox is a browser. It doesn't have a login function. Do you see that message simply by launching Firefox?

New Contributor

yes it pops up before my homepage comes up and I have to click yes or no.

Master Contributor

Do you have the popup blocker enabled in the Tools | Options Content menu? See Block popups

New Contributor

Just downloaded Firefox 4 and had hard time finding options. Seems like I do have popup windows blocked. If I unblock it will this go away?

Master Contributor

No, you should keep it enabled. It should prevent this from happening.

The company mentioned in your post title appears to be legitimate, so I don't think you've indavertently installed a browser hijacker somehow.

But you mentioned in the beginning that you always had to "logon" to Firefox? Where exactly? Are you the only user?

New Contributor

I shouldn't have said that when I log on. I meant when I open firefox. I am the only user.

Master Contributor

Ah..OK.

Try running Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode. Do you see the popup when you do that? If it fails to appear in that configuration, then one of your add-ons is the culprit.

New Contributor

I started it with addons disabled which is safe mode, right? It still popped up.

New Contributor

I got a message that you answered again but I don't see another answer....