cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when I call a file in firefox the address bar inserts a backslash (\) in fron of the file name and it will not load

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

when I call a file in firefox the address bar inserts a backslash (\) in fron of the file name and it will not load

When I call up some files in firefox a backslash is inserted when it loads (http://razorbackpark.com/%5Chole17.htm). Consequently it will not load. If I manually enter the file in the address bar, it loads fine. How do I correct this behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Legendary Contributor

Re: when I call a file in firefox the address bar inserts a backslash (\) in fron of the file name and it will not load

Hi LTCreations, glad to hear that worked. It seems to clear some cobwebs that can't be cleared through the other menu items, but I haven't researched the exact difference.

17 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Re: when I call a file in firefox the address bar inserts a backslash (\) in fron of the file name and it will not load

Hello gjmfim99,

Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache. In order to try to fix these problems, the first step is to clear both cookies and the cache. Note: This will temporarily log you out of all sites you're logged in to. To clear cache and cookies do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > History > Clear recent history or (if no Firefox button is shown) go to Tools > Clear recent history.
  2. Under "Time range to clear", select "Everything".
  3. Now, click the arrow next to Details to toggle the Details list active.
  4. From the details list, check Cache and Cookies and uncheck everything else.
  5. Now click the Clear now button.

Further information can be found in the Clear your cache, history and other personal information in Firefox article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Legendary Contributor

Is this your website?

On some websites where the author only tested in IE, the link paths actually are written incorrectly in the HTML code. There might be an add-on to quietly correct these URLs behind the scenes, but otherwise you would have to fix them on a case-by-case basis as you are doing now.

Edit: On the hole pages, they are written with a backslash:

<option value="\hole17.htm"> View of Seventeenth Hole</option>
New Contributor

I took the backslash out of file and it worked in that file. When I go to a file from the original file, some of the goto filenames work and some don't. The ones that don't show the \ in the address bar even though it is not in the code of that file.

Site Moderator

Try to clear the cache:

• Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

Reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.

• Press and hold Shift and left-click the Reload button.
  • Press "Ctrl + F5" or press "Ctrl + Shift + R" (Windows,Linux)
  • Press "Command + Shift + R" (MAC)
New Contributor

That did not help..Interesting that it totally works in IE9. There has to be something unique with Firefox.

Site Moderator

Can you post a link to a not working page?

New Contributor

This page works: http://razorbackpark.com/layout.htm

This page partially works. If you click on different hole views in the box, some work and some don't. http://razorbackpark.com/hole4.htm

Legendary Contributor

IE automatically flips a backslash so it works as a forward slash; Firefox does not do that.

On the hole3.htm page, there is an error in the script in the drop-down control:

<select name="layout" size="1" id="layout" style="font-size: 11px; font-family: Arial" 
onChange="if(options[selectedIndex].value) window.location.href= (options[selectedIndex].value)>" 

In the above tag, the closing quotation mark is supposed to be before the >, not after it. Including the > inside the closing quotation mark causes a script error.

Note: This is not an exhaustive review of the site, I just happened to notice that one in going through the first few holes.

New Contributor

Still does not work