Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unable to sign in from google toolbar

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

unable to sign in from google toolbar

Firefox upgraded to 6.0.2 and suddenly I am not able to sign in using Google toolbar. I tried several setups but failed. Any solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: unable to sign in from google toolbar

Google changed the login from

www.google.com/accounts

to

accounts.google.com

Solution: Open up toolbar.js with a decent editor.

Find: www.google.com/accounts

and replace ALL with: accounts.google.com

Restart FF 6.

Login through the toolbar. Enjoy.

23 REPLIES
New Contributor

Google changed the login from

www.google.com/accounts

to

accounts.google.com

Solution: Open up toolbar.js with a decent editor.

Find: www.google.com/accounts

and replace ALL with: accounts.google.com

Restart FF 6.

Login through the toolbar. Enjoy.

New Contributor

Thanks thalgas, works like a charm!

For anyone looking for toolbar.js location, it will be in: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xyz>.default\extensions\<{xyz}>\lib

New Contributor

hello: i am writing from Spain. i have the same issue related but am unable to resolve it like cflammen seems he did. could you be more specific please?. i am a neophyte in computers... thank you, fernando

New Contributor

That works for PC.......how do we do this fix for the Mac?

New Contributor

I'm hoping for some additional assistance on making changes in the toolbar.js . I can locate it but I do not know how to "open up toolbar.js in a decent editor" and how the procedure of replacing www.google.com/accounts with accounts.google.com will be handled.

I am very knowledgeable on computers but this action has me stumped...along with how and where I do these actions.

Thank you in advance for your assistance on this matter.

David12031

New Contributor

I need help with "decent editor." Could you suggest one, please. Also, I would greatly appreciate some step-by-step instructions. I desperately want my Google Toolbar Bookmarks back on Firefox, but I'm nervous about messing around with my directory. I have to fix a PC Win7 64-bit and a Mac 64-bit. Thanks.

New Contributor

Hi, could you please be more specific on how to find the toolbar.js location. I tried to find it, but was unable to do so. I am running Vista Home Pro. Thanks for the help. I really want my bookmarks back.

New Contributor

I had the same problem with a Spanish pc (on Vista). How I solved it as detailed as possible:

Like thalgas and cflammen say, you have to reach toolbar.js Which has been a bit complicated for me. Also this link helped me: http://randytayler.com/2011/09/cant-log-in-to-the-google-toolbar-miss-your-bookmarks-i-help-you/

Essentially, if you type: "C:\Users\username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<xyz>.default\extensions\<{xyz}>\lib"

Nothing will come up because where it says "username" and "<xyz>" it's different in every computer.

Open any folder of your pc (like "my computer") and type on the address bar "C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" Changing Michael to whatever your username is on your computer.

Then click on the only folder that appears (which I guess has a different name in each computer), then click on the folder "extensions" then click on the second folder in which you should find the final folder "lib" your looking for. Inside this folder is the file "toolbar.js". Right click on it and select open with notepad.

Once your in just go up to Edit > Replace, and enter the following in the “Find” field:

www.google.com/accounts

And then this in the “Replace” field:

accounts.google.com

Hit “Replace All”. Then Save, and close it.

That’s it. Restart Firefox, and NOW the Google toolbar will let you log in.

It did work for me! ;D Thanks! (hope I didn't make it too confusing...)

New Contributor

Thanks for this! I've been playing around with mine because it just stopped working yesterday for me (after I returned from using the "private browsing" functon).

On FF 6.02 , and this fix worked great Smiley Happy Took 30 seconds with Wordpad (works fine if you make sure to save the JS as plain text).