Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble with firefox search engine

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

trouble with firefox search engine

when using my e-mail hotmail today when I closed it down I got stuck with the msn home page, I managed to get firefox home page back but the search is being done by BING, I do not want this I want google as before . This seems to have happened since firefox 18 was delivered

Can any body help to get this back as before

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: trouble with firefox search engine

Try to reset some preferences to the default with the SearchReset extension:

Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).

You can check the browser.search.defaultenginename pref(s) on the about:config page to see if it has the default Google value.

If there is a problem with searching via the default about:home page then try to reset the search engine used on the about:home page.

Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.

1. Open the about:config page via the location bar
  2. Type in the Filter bar: mstone
  3. Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
  4. Close and restart Firefox

If this didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.

2 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Try to reset some preferences to the default with the SearchReset extension:

Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).

You can check the browser.search.defaultenginename pref(s) on the about:config page to see if it has the default Google value.

If there is a problem with searching via the default about:home page then try to reset the search engine used on the about:home page.

Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.

1. Open the about:config page via the location bar
  2. Type in the Filter bar: mstone
  3. Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
  4. Close and restart Firefox

If this didn't help then delete the delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.

New User

cor-el

thanks very much i use the reset app and it worked a treat , i now have the google search thanks