Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the first tab opened in firefox continually loads and cannot be closed

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

the first tab opened in firefox continually loads and cannot be closed

When I open Firefox the first tab I open will continually load and cannot be closed

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: the first tab opened in firefox continually loads and cannot be closed

I've been having this problem, but just checked my themes and noticed I had an outdated/unsupported theme enabled without realizing it. The theme didn't work at all.

I enabled the default theme (which is what I thought was enabled already,) and haven't had the tab freeze again yet...

16 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of your add-ons is causing your problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).

• Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems and Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems

If it does work in Safe-mode then disable all your extensions and then try to find which is causing it by enabling one at a time until the problem reappears.

• Use "Disable all add-ons" on the Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode start window to disable all extensions.
  • Close and restart Firefox after each change via "File > Exit" (Mac: "Firefox > Quit"; Linux: "File > Quit")
New Contributor

Oh boy! I do not know about protected start--what itis & where it is. Where do I find this information? I am new to all this.

New Contributor

I've been having this problem, but just checked my themes and noticed I had an outdated/unsupported theme enabled without realizing it. The theme didn't work at all.

I enabled the default theme (which is what I thought was enabled already,) and haven't had the tab freeze again yet...

New Contributor

thanks statueofmike...when I read your post I remembered that I had recently tried a new persona and after I changed it the problem went away.

New Contributor

Nope - this happend after the latest firefox update - no new persona/theme.

But since, the first tab now close, but not the last one!

New Contributor

There is at least two more similar posts to this one - I remember a was on another question like this - why does that thread not show in the search results?

New Contributor

No, I am back to the first tab does not finish loading and does not close. The other tabs close.

New Contributor

All of a sudden, for the past day or 2, I had the same problem. Others said to uninstall "Invisible hand" add-on, so I did. I closed ff then reopened. Voila! So far so good! Hopefully that was the problem....

New Contributor

Thank you! This works though so far I have to disable each time....