Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

saving tabs on exit

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

saving tabs on exit

I followed the instructions to rename files in Firefox folder and tried to troubleshoot my few add-ons. Since upgrading to v4 I am no longer asked if I want to save tabs. Please advise... Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Expert Contributor

Re: saving tabs on exit

• Tools>Options>Tabs: tick 'warn when closing multiple tabs'
  • Tools>Options>General>Startup: select 'open my home page'.
  • Type about:config in Location bar, hit enter, filter by browser.showQuitWarning, set it to True.

Please let us know whether that solves the issue.

16 REPLIES
Expert Contributor

• Tools>Options>Tabs: tick 'warn when closing multiple tabs'
  • Tools>Options>General>Startup: select 'open my home page'.
  • Type about:config in Location bar, hit enter, filter by browser.showQuitWarning, set it to True.

Please let us know whether that solves the issue.

New Contributor

Thank you Gryllida. The first two settings were mine as well. The third setting "show quit warning" was set to false. It appears to have done the trick. Thank you very much for your quick and spot on help. Much appreciated...

New Contributor

Thank you! This worked!

Expert Contributor

By default, Firefox 4 will not ask to save tabs, but instead it will always save your tabs on exit. You can restore them next time by choosing "Restore Previous Session" from the History menu, or pressing the restore button on Firefox's default home page.

New Contributor

Thanks for the info. Worked great for me as well.

New Contributor

Is there a way to make True the default, instead of a user setting? I have a couple of machines at home that all five in our family use, and it'll be a headache to go in under each profile and have to do the about:config and toggle action.

I wish you guys hadn't changed this functionality.

New Contributor

Well, that's nice, but it introduces 3 steps that I didn't have to do before. The idea of improvement is always to reduce steps/keystrokes when possible. They need to give us the option to default to Restore Previous Session ... grrr

Expert Contributor

If you'd like to restore the previous session by default, open the Firefox preferences/options window. In the "General" section, next to "When Firefox starts," choose "Show my windows and tabs from last time."

New Contributor

Sorry, but Firefox always has asked about saving tabs in version 3 and 4 without my changing anything. The difference in 4 is that it is now a warning that they are closing, like I used to receive if I had multiple browser windows open, and will not permit a save. I tried the Corrupted Files suggestion to add the .bak extensions to two files but this changed nothing. Will now try your next advice. Thanks for trying to help.