Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"You have chosen to open-"Search?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

"You have chosen to open-"Search?

While on Firefox and using Google as the search engine, it randomly opens a separate window asking "You have chosen to open-Search ". I didn't even press any commands or any sort for it to pop out. It's becoming very frustrating as each time I close it and continue to type it appears again.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/412/firefoxerror.jpg/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: "You have chosen to open-"Search?

I have tried deleting the file specified "mimeTypes.rdf" , and while it worked for a short period this behavior still appears on a random basis.

When typing or modifying the search item in google I sometimes get a

you have elected to open save Search file type json

dialog that interrupts the typing at the request prompt. closing or trying to save the resultant search in the dialog box requires to clicks to close the dialog box and then is apt to reappear before I have typed several more characters in my search request. Deleting cookies, and cache had a similar temporary effect

6 REPLIES
Regular Contributor

Try opening from the Firefox menu bar:

Help > Troubleshooting Information

and click the button to open your profile folder.

Exit Firefox, then delete the "mimeTypes.rdf" file from your profile folder. Restart Firefox and see if the error continues.

If this solves your problem, please mark the question as "Solved". This way you will help others in a similar situation.

See also Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware?

New Contributor

It still seems to happens still. I deleted the file, but soon happened again. I'm sure I have no viruses or malware.

New Contributor

I have tried deleting the file specified "mimeTypes.rdf" , and while it worked for a short period this behavior still appears on a random basis.

When typing or modifying the search item in google I sometimes get a

you have elected to open save Search file type json

dialog that interrupts the typing at the request prompt. closing or trying to save the resultant search in the dialog box requires to clicks to close the dialog box and then is apt to reappear before I have typed several more characters in my search request. Deleting cookies, and cache had a similar temporary effect

New Contributor

The only way to stop this problem was to clean the firefox folders and re install a fresh install. Thanks for all the suggestions though.

New Contributor

Actually, I think most of my problems may have been caused by a greasemonkey script to enhance google with keyboard commands. I am still working on the problem, but I would recommend un-installing this script as a first step to see if that helps before redoing firefox completely.

Now I need to find a way to substitute my old user profile for the new one to see if this is even true, but I am guessing the script may have been causing problems (it certainly was causing other problems).

Oddly enough, when I switched profiles to the unused default, I seemingly completely lost access to the -profilemanager argument in firefox and it now simply restarts the new profile instead of giving me a shot at the old one.

I guess it would not be either educational or fun if it was easy.....

New Contributor

When I disabled Google Instant, the issue went away. I found this option in search settings.