Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Well this is embarrassing........." message EVERY SINGLE time I open Firefox

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

"Well this is embarrassing........." message EVERY SINGLE time I open Firefox

I am now getting the 'well this is embarrassing...' message EVERY time I open Firefox; I have my Home page set to always open 9 tabs - these are the SAME tabs I have opened at start-up for about 2 years - WHY this annoying message now?! When I click 'close' the Home page opens with all the tabs with no problem, but the message is really irritating & doesn't seem to be telling me anything, as there isn't a problem with any of the tabs? NB: In case you ask 'why 9 tabs'?; these are essential websites I use every time I am browsing/working; I cannot keep opening them manually every time. Please advise why this message comes up as here seems to be no problem, & how I can get rid of it? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: "Well this is embarrassing........." message EVERY SINGLE time I open Firefox

A likely cause is that you are first closing all Firefox windows and then close the Firefox application.

Some have reported that closing Firefox (Firefox > Quit) while the browser window is still open works for them.

• Bug 845681 - Closing all windows and quitting Firefox afterwards leads to about:sessionrestore to be shown on next startup

(please do not comment in bug reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html)

34 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: "Well this is embarrassing........." message EVERY SINGLE time I open Firefox

You get this page if Firefox isn't closing properly.

Use Mac: "Firefox > Quit" (Linux: "File > Quit"; Windows: Firefox > Exit Firefox) to close Firefox if you are currently doing that by clicking the close X on the title bar.

You can also check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.

Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.

Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).

New User

Thanks very much for your help; I deleted the 'sessionstore.js' file - couldn't see any other 'session' files in the Profile folder (except one ending in .bak? Thought I'd better leave that alone). Then I 'quit' Firefox completely & re-started the computer & it seems to have worked - it has also still opened all my tabs so I didn't have to re-set them all again. Well let's hope that's done the trick; fingers crossed!

All Star

You can also preserve a collection of tabs by bookmarking them in a folder and then opening all in tabs at once. Right-click the tab bar and choose "Bookmark All Tabs", then give the folder a suitable name when asked. When you want your tabs back, select that folder, go to the bottom of the list and choose "Open All in Tabs".

New User

Thanks, that's helpful.

New User

Thanks for the workaround. However what's missing here is some acknowledgement of a new problem? This error message on start-up is affecting every laptop and Mac in our house. It wasn't happening before the last upgrade so what's been broken and what else is damaged? Firefox has been running so clunky and slow of late that I'm considering abandoning it until I read things have been fixed.

New User

That's interesting; I thought it was just me! You're right; it has started since the last upgrade. And in fact the solution above from Cor-el only worked for me for a while; I still intermittently get this message on opening FF. It tells me it is because of 'recently opened web pages'; but these are a variety of web pages that I have opened 100's of times already without this problem. Firefox; are you intending to fix this?

Site Moderator

A likely cause is that you are first closing all Firefox windows and then close the Firefox application.

Some have reported that closing Firefox (Firefox > Quit) while the browser window is still open works for them.

• Bug 845681 - Closing all windows and quitting Firefox afterwards leads to about:sessionrestore to be shown on next startup

(please do not comment in bug reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html)

New User

Thanks again cor-el; well I tried this once & it worked - will see if it works over a longer period. I've moved the 'this solved my problem' badge to the above post!

New User

I am getting the same problem. Tried deleting the session.js and session.bak files but that didn't help at all. Problem persists. What to do?